Investigative Producer – Sinclair Broadcast Group – Arlington, VA
Company: Sinclair Broadcast Group
Location: Arlington, VA
Sinclair Broadcast Group
WJLA-TV, in Washington, DC, seeks an enterprising and aggressive Investigative Producer to join our 7 ON YOUR SIDE investigative and consumer unit. We are looking for someone with a clear understanding of how to dig for a story, research it, write it with an edge and use strong storytelling and TV production to make it powerful and memorable. Knowledge of the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) process, computer-assisted reporting, social listening and data-driven reporting is required along with familiarity of legal issues related to investigative and consumer news reporting. Strong writing skills and knowledge of current events is essential. Dynamic storytelling skills are a must.
- Develop and maintain contacts and sources in the community to enterprise story ideas
- Identify and pitch investigative angles on both long-form enterprise and big daily news stories
- Work closely with Director of Special Projects to refine investigative and consumer related pitches and story scripts
- Work closely with reporters to provide in-house set up and research
- Go out in the field with photographers to pursue your own leads and stories, as well as gather material for reporters
- Write online versions of investigative and consumer reports and work with Digital Producers on “web extra” content
- Other 7 ON YOUR SIDE unit duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of investigative producing experience is preferred
- History of award-winning investigative journalism is preferred
- Must be a strong storyteller with the ability to make the complicated understandable
- Must be able to use all available tools to enhance visual storytelling, from graphics to social media
- “Multi-media Journalism” writing, shooting, editing skills are preferred
- Should be able to generate story ideas and determine the legitimacy of viewer tips
- Strong writer, storyteller. Must be naturally inquisitive with an interest in holding government officials accountable
While applying online, please include a recent web link of your work; if you do not have an online reel, please mail a non-returnable DVD to the station at:
Attn: Managing Editor
1100 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22205
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.