Chief Content Officer – TEGNA – McLean, VA
Location: McLean, VA
TEGNA is seeking a Chief Content Officer (CCO) to define the vision and implement an effective content strategy for the company across all platforms. The CCO will have a unique opportunity to lead the company and its content teams to develop innovative, unique content that captures a broad and diverse audience in our local markets. This role will be responsible for overseeing the content and editorial strategy across all platforms. The CCO will report to TEGNA’s Chief Operating Officer.
- Oversee content team at a corporate level to drive excellent storytelling, maintain journalistic standards and TEGNA stations’ ability to super-serve local communities.
- Implement a “One Content” content strategy that results in a robust pipeline of high-quality, relevant, local programming that connects with audiences on all platforms. Regularly review content strategy and ensure accountability to the plan.
- Ensure local stations have the leading tools, products, processes and information to leverage the unique story-telling properties of each platform and elevate TEGNA’s overall content.
- Deploy best-in-class research and data/analytics disciplines that transform TEGNA’s understanding of the local news audience across platforms and encourage utilizing this data to inform editorial and creative decisions.
- Foster a culture that owns storytelling, and breaking news while also driving and rewarding creativity and innovation that leads to differentiation and success.
- Forecast future content-creation trends, technologies and distribution opportunities. Work with station leadership to develop business plans that use these changes to expand market reach.
- Support and elevate innovative storytelling efforts from individual stations that can be replicated and adapted in other markets to build a best-in-class local content ecosystem that independently serves individual communities and markets.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
- 15+ years of successful work experience in journalism, with at least 10 years’ experience leading a large organization including oversight of content development in a media environment
- Past experience in TV/linear production or similar operational content role within a linear environment required
- Solid journalistic and content judgment that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique content
- Deep understanding of and commitment to the tenets of professional journalism
- Proven ability to develop a content strategy, effectively communicate the strategy and drive accountability
- Passion for local journalism, the industry as a whole and curiosity for emerging media
- Strong knowledge of both broadcast and digital production and platforms.
- Strong social media skills and active on social media.
- Successful track record of progressive, forward-thinking with demonstrated results
- Ability to inspire, mentor, lead and motivate others to perform well
- Can drive change, is open to new ideas and responsibilities, handles pressure, and can quickly adapt to changing needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication; practices active listening
- Results-driven, sets challenging goals, prioritizes, overcomes obstacles, drives accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility.
- Works collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and realize positive results.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 62 television stations and two radio stations in 51 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 30 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA also delivers innovative and unparalleled solutions for advertisers through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.