Writer/Content Creator – BC Sports Hub – North Vancouver, BC
BC Sports Hub job in North Vancouver, BC
BC Sports Hub
BC Sports Hub is one of British Columbia’s largest amateur sports source that covers high school and university sports through visuals (including video documentaries, game highlights, photography, and graphics) and written pieces. With a large focus on high school basketball, as well as football and rugby, we specialize in stories that revolve around players, coaches, and tournaments, while showcasing talented young athletes from around the province.
BC Sports Hub is the go-to media for live events. We interview players and coaches for Instagram stories and posts, and use all social platforms to engage with our audience during tournaments to allow for fans to feel as if they are right there, too.
As a content creator, specifically when it comes to writing, we are seeking an individual who not only can write a game recap and preview, but also goes beyond the sport by aiming to find the personal side of the story; one that evokes emotion and allows the reader to feel a connection with the piece. These stories range from a star athlete who has inspired others through his own mental health struggles, to a coach who has lost their daughter due to cancer and now honours them through a basketball tournament. Ideally, our content creator will show compassion and sympathy in their writing while also drawing a connection to sports, too.
We believe that sports unite us, fuel us, and lead us to moments that define us—you will help tell the stories that do just that.
- To become the provinces premier source for amateur athletics.
- To be respected for our integrity, our people, and our commitment to excellent coverage and storytelling.
- To deliver stories that go above and beyond the expectations of our audience.
- Research and write articles for our websites on topics such as games, teams, players, coaches, etc.
- Minimum 2 posts per week. Posts can include: feature articles, video recaps, video interviews, podcasts, click bait articles, interest pieces, etc.
- Create compelling press releases for our events.
- Create content for our digital platforms including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (text, photo, and video).
- Create and maintain a consistent content calendar that aligns with our business goals.
- Cover live events when needed; promote the event before and during, set up interviews with coaches and players, and write recap-style articles once the event is finished.
- Provide support to team members as required.
- Minimum 1-year experience in a similar role.
- Degree in journalism/communications/creative writing/English.
- Ability to work both independently and with team.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Excellentresearch skills.
- Flexible and able to adapt to shifting priorities.
- Worked in a marketing/advertising/PR agency and/or sports management/production.
- Knowledge of photography and videography (extra points for having your own camera).
- Love of sports.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere.
What to expect:
- Must be available for all BC Sports Hub events (frontcourtevents.com)
- bballnationals from July 29th-August 5th
- The Big Ticket from November 25th 30th, 2019
- Flexible work environments and hours surrounded by a fun, goal-oriented team.
- Agency to pursue stories that interest you.
- Opportunities to travel to cover tournaments and events.
- Reliable transportation is recommended; however, we are public transit friendly in everything we do, as well.
Suggested Pay scale
- Game recap/preview articles/click bait articles: 2 cents/click plus $15
- Feature article without video: 2 cents/click plus $30 an article
- Feature article with video: 2 cents/click plus $45 an article
- Approved Concept In Depth Research/Interest Pieces: 2 cents/click plus $100 an article
- Podcasts/Videos: $30 per video/article
*For a maximum monthly total of $2000
*Clicks will be counted until 30 days after the article’s posted date, unless something occurs to make the article go viral at a later date. Our Executive Editor will use their discretion in these circumstances.
Think you are a good fit? Applytoday bysending us your cover letter and résumé to BC Sports Hub.
Job Type: Freelance[Read more]
To apply for this job please click here.
Suggested production jobs...