Are you looking for work/life balance? Do you want to be part of behind-the-scenes in film and TV production? If you’d like to join an exciting team at a leading company keep reading…
Sim is a leading supplier of film/TV studio production equipment, as well as workflow/dailies and post-production services. We’re proud to have supported features such as “Deadpool,” “Handmaid’s Tale,” “Game of Thrones,” “Stranger Things,” “Power Rangers” and “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.”
We provide Studio, Camera, Lighting & Grip, Dailies and Post Production services and have locations throughout Canada and the United States.
For more information, visit siminternational.com or visit us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn @simcomplete.
About the Position
The Workflow Producer is the technical lead for the local office, responsible for creating, managing and communicating workflow from on set, to the digital dailies lab. This position requires an in depth understanding of both the production and post-production processes used on scripted episodic television and feature film jobs. Position involves hands on designing of new dailies workflows in tools such as Avid, Colorfront, Yoyotta and more, while leading and mentoring a team of local Workflow Supervisors. Collaborating with other Workflow Producers across all Sim locations, this role will also ensure standardized procedures, security protocols and safety of the negative are adhered to in the local office. We look to our Workflow Producers as the leading innovators for how our dailies departments function on a technical level, and depend on them to implement efficient workflows so that our dailies staff work within budgeted timeframes, all while maintaining the quality we have come to expect at Sim.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Local Project Start Up and Management:
- Position yourself as the lead representative for all communication from on set to post-production that may affect the digital negative
- Work with internal Sim departments to understand all services being offered on assigned jobs, to ensure a united front to the client
- Work with the on set technician (DIT/DMT or DUT), the Director of Photography as well as the finishing facility to design and sign off on a color workflow, from set to final grade
- Design the VFX pull workflow to automate the process of turning over the appropriate color for each shot
- Oversee Workflow Supervisors performing VFX pulls and perform VFX pulls as required
- Communicate with the finishing facility to ensure that all specs are signed off on and a final workflow test is run between our lab and theirs for a conform
- Set up and lead the workflow conference call and ensure all members of post and production understand the job scope
- Ensure technicians are onboarded and trained by the Workflow Supervisor and are using a workflow you have signed off on
- Use your experience and expertise to advise and direct client’s queries in a prompt and professional manner
- Troubleshoot any questions or concerns regarding color flow with VFX vendors
- Ensure Workflow Supervisor-led jobs have been set up for success and will be ready to deliver by day 1 of production
- Ensure framing procedures, metadata capture and color flow are established on each job
- Able and ready to travel to remote locations for extended periods of time, as dictated by a project’s shooting location and schedule at the Company’s discretion
- Organize, coordinate, and manage the re-location and assembly of a remote dailies lab in various environments (including production office, hotel room, rental office) while still maintaining Sim’s high level of technical standards
- Ensure technical documentation, workflow specifics and metadata from each show in your office is properly being tracked and managed in Metabanq
- Ensure all media from production is backed up to LTO within no later than 48 hours of wrap
- Address online/finishing house issues are resolved on an ‘urgent’ and professional basis to ensure any material that is holding up the finishing process is found and sent to them quickly
- Promptly communicate any issues with the ‘digital negative’ to producer and post producer as soon as these issues are known
- Ensure 24/7 technical support is available to all jobs, being on call for both clients and staff
Management of Staff:
- Responsible for leading all technical/workflow processes assigned to Workflow Supervisors within your office, ensuring workflow procedures are put in place at the start of each job and are adhered to throughout the rest of the job
- Lead training, mentoring and support for local Workflow Supervisors
- Ensure deadlines are understood and met by the Workflow Supervisor and their technicians
- Create system for producing and delivering screeners such as iPads, etc. to ensure production personnel are receiving these in a timely manner
- Regularly check to ensure communication between Workflow Supervisors and post-production personnel on client side is being handled professionally and in a timely manner
- Ensure that Workflow Supervisors are QC’ing (Quality Control) the technicians’ work to ensure metadata is tracking accurately for both picture and sound and that the Workflow Supervisor is QC’ing look management
- Ensure Workflow Supervisors are submitting dailies invoicing information to accounting in a timely manner
- Oversee master databases for all jobs in your office
- Oversee staff and freelancers on all jobs and report any issues to management
- Participate in Dailies Technicians interviews and provide recommendations to hire
- Fill the role of Workflow Supervisor when necessary
- Lead Research and Development subgroups spearheading Sim’s continual innovation
- Compile reports from R&D subgroups and distribute that information to your direct supervisor and other R&D subgroups
- Participate in training programs (either as a student or instructor) designed to improve the collective knowledge base of the Company
- Provide support and technical information to clients, potential clients and staff members when required
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Company
- Perform other duties that may be assigned
What You’ll Need
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- At least 5 years experience in Video/Film Production Industry
- College Diploma from a recognized Audio/Video/Film Production Course
- Proficiency working with a variety of post-production software including: Colorfront, Avid, Davinci Resolve, Yoyotta
- A practical knowledge of cameras and camera formats
- Experience and proficiency in color grading
- Ability to use, learn and implement new software and hardware
- Experience in managing staff
- Editorial experience an asset
- Decision Making / Problem Solving – Identifies an issue and processes relevant information coming up with possible solutions, selects appropriate responses and implements them.
- Customer Service Focus – Identifies and creates opportunities to improve every person’s experience with the Company.
- Teamwork – Participates actively in a team to improve the Company’s effectiveness.
- Communication – Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing across the Company.
- Innovation – Develops new ways and adapts existing products or processes to help the Company achieve its Mission and Vision.
- Quality/Attention to Detail Focus – Ensures that standards for self, equipment and services are met to provide excellent service delivery.
- Accountability – Accepts personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work. Can be relies upon to achieve results with little need for oversight.
- Stress Tolerance – Functions in highly stressful, ambiguous or adverse situations.
Our Work Environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Some physical effort may be required (i.e. some lifting of supplies and material)
- Long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
Perks You’ll Receive
We can offer you:
- Competitive wages in line with market standards
- Retirement savings program with company matching
- Comprehensive company-sponsored health benefits
- Perks including discounted health and wellness programs
- Employment Assistance Program (EAP) for counseling, financial planning, work-related concerns
- Exposure to best-in-class motion picture technologies
- Free parking with electric charging station(s) at most locations
- Company events including: food truck lunches, summer BBQ’s, technology workshops, and industry events;
- The opportunity to mentor new hires and interns
- A work environment where you can really make an impact
- Growth opportunities and a career, not just a job
Equal Opportunity & Accommodation
Sim is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other basis protected by law.
Sim is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are compliant with local legislation. Applicants requiring accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process are encouraged to advise accordingly.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent