Lead Designer, 3D – WildBrain – Vancouver, BC
Location: Vancouver, BC
WildBrain Studios is looking for an experienced Lead Designer to join our team! You may have known us as DHX Media – we’ve recently changed our name to reflect our renewed commitment to pushing the creative and focusing on the artist experience. At WildBrain we create epic entertainment experiences for kids and family through industry leading animation. Join us and see what other great things are happening at WildBrain!
As a Lead Designer you will work with the Art Director to lead the design team to ensure the delivery of expected high-quality designs as required by the production.
You will get to work on…
- Create original, production-oriented designs through procedurally iterative process (including turnarounds and other detailed notes)
- Mentor and train design team on an ongoing basis technically and creatively
- Participate in client meetings; partner with Senior Production
- Collaborate with key stakeholders in production team on style guides, asset requirements etc.
- Foster and enable communication across departments
- Assist with paint-overs and feedback for design and modelling teams; work in line, grayscale, and colour
- Advise and support modelling to build characters, sets, and props, offering advice and design support throughout the process; with in asset timelines etc.
- Manage timelines for deliverables; execute effectively on changes and feedback
- Stay up to date with shows by reading scripts and watching animatics
- Maintain the production’s show style and optimize designs for storytelling needs
- Balance creative desires with the requirements of production; provide effective solutions.
You will be a great fit on our team if…
- 3+ years in CG animation design, tv animation, series or film industry
- Must have strong design experience for 3D animation and be able to design a wide variety of human characters, facial expressions, creatures, machinery, vehicles, and props
- Required: Excellent knowledge in Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Demonstrated creative and proactive problem-solving skills
- Experience interfacing with other designers, modellers, animators and directors
- Strong leadership, management, and organizational skills
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively give direction and communicate storytelling
- Ability to identify strengths and weakness of design team
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of production
- Ability to set priorities for yourself and others, as well as manage the progress of work
Why work at WildBrain?
WildBrain delivers content that inspires, entertains and connects. But we create more than just animation, we build worlds and experiences for kids around the world. At our studios, quality, creativity and fun go hand in hand! Our teams dig into a diverse range of projects – from preschool and comedy to action-adventure – while enjoying awesome benefits, perks, and a whole lot of fun along the way. With some of Canada’s top creative talents, our studios are bursting with energy. So what are you waiting for? Come join us!
THANK YOU to all those who express interest in being a part of the WildBrain Studios team. Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications we receive, we may be unable to reply to all applicants. If we feel that you may be a good match for one of our current openings you will be contacted. WildBrain will accommodate people with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required.