We are looking for a Creature Pipeline TD to join our creature department. The primary responsibility of a Creature Pipeline TD is to work closely with our core pipeline team to provide, support and improve tools across multiple productions needs globally. The Creature Pipeline TD is a highly technical position working with both upstream and downstream departments tackling great challenges; interacting with developers from other disciplines to improve and support the workflow both within the Creatures department other teams across the facility. Organization and enthusiasm are important to us. We are looking for someone who is a team player, clear communicator, has a keenness for collaboration and who is a self-starter. Someone who’s not afraid of putting their ideas to the test and thrive in a dynamic atmosphere that constantly evolves.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Create and support the core Creature rigging and tech-anim pipeline and associated tool sets
- Creating User Interfaces, reusable libraries and tools to assist Creature TD’s in both rigging and character simulations
- Working in partnership with R&D programmers, studio’s core pipeline department, animators, and lighters to ensure data are delivered to the very highest standard
- Must have good tools and code base design logic
- Smart solutions that are well designed with simplicity, ease of use and easy maintenance in mind
- Work in partnership with the Creature team to come up with advanced but technically sound solutions to enhance our character pipeline
- Developing long-term strategies to automate and enhance the character workflow and product.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years work experience in feature film/broadcast VFX production
- Solid knowledge of rigging systems, character simulations, and scripts / tools development
- Comprehensive knowledge of Maya, especially in the rigging, deformation, and nDynamics area
- Experience with Xgen, and general hair and hair dynamics a plus
- Strong programming skills. Must proficient with Python. Experience with MEL is helpful.
- Maya API C++ programming a plus
- Thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to character rigging and simulation
- Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling to texturing, animation and rendering
- Strong Math skills, ie: Linear Algebra, thorough understanding of matrices, vectors and transformations in 3D is a big plus
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Must be willing to take direction well, a good team player, and have good work ethics.
- Willingness to learn and grow further
- Must be a self starter. Solid time and project management skills
- An industry related degree (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of experience working on a production VFX pipeline
- 5+ years Python experience
- 5+ years git and rez experience or other version control system
- 5+ years PyQt or PySide experience
- 5+ years Maya experience
- Experience developing in a Linux environment
- Excellent investigation, debugging, and communication skills
- Experience with other DCC applications and APIs such as Nuke, Katana or Houdini