North Vancouver, BC
$4,187 – $4,710 a month
Film Centre Technical Supervisor
Nat & Flora Bosa Centre for Film and Animation
This is technical project operations, supervisory, service, maintenance, exhibition, and stores work in support of instruction in the equipment storage areas, Production Studios, and Theatre of the Film Centre. This position works closely with students, faculty and staff in the Motion Picture Arts and Film Crafts Departments, as well as with a variety of external clients and industry partners. Duties include supervision, equipment order maintenance and fulfillment, administering departmental database software, resolving logistical challenges inherent to a busy Motion Picture Production environment, and providing technical assistance and training to students and faculty. This position oversees the organization and maintenance of studio spaces in the Film Centre and elsewhere on campus, while ensuring that materials and equipment are safe for use by students, faculty, and external clients. The incumbent will operate and supervise the digital cinema projection system in the Film Centre, manage client intake for internal and external Theatre bookings, provide stage management, lighting and sound switching/mixing during live events. This position takes direction from the Program Coordinator or designate and reports to the Director, Film Centre.
- Supervises the day-to-day operations of the equipment storage area in the Film Centre, including supervising and training staff; planning and scheduling the work flow; assigning, prioritizing and checking work assignments; verifying time sheets; preparing work and vacation schedules; identifying short term staffing needs; participating in selection committees; and providing input on performance reviews.
- Assists with the planning and execution of a variety of projects according to deadlines and within budget constraints. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to the plan. Helps the Director to define project objectives and oversees quality control throughout its life cycle.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the specific rules and regulations which govern the use of the area’s equipment and supplies.
- Considerable knowledge of general media, film and AV production equipment, digital and film cameras, digital cinema exhibition and live event support equipment, supplies and industry standards, procedures and protocols.
- Considerable knowledge of the technical objectives and methods taught in the courses offered in the Motion Picture Arts and Film Crafts departments.
- Considerable knowledge of business English and spelling.
- Considerable knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and database programs, email and intranet, and the ability to upgrade as required. – Considerable knowledge of automated inventory/booking systems, such as Rental Works.
– Considerable knowledge of digital post-production work flow and related hardware and software.
- Working knowledge of the objectives, methods and procedures and the use of standard office equipment.
– Working knowledge of storage, distribution and inventory practices and procedures.
- Ability to train other staff members, to communicate technical information effectively, and to interpret and explain rules and procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize, assign, and supervise the work of staff engaged in technical services work.
- Ability to assess and pre-empt equipment or facility availability conflicts, and to resolve those that do arise regardless of their cause. – Ability to assemble, organize, and operate equipment for on set and demonstration use. – Ability to communicate technical and relevant non-technical information effectively in a dynamic environment with changing student requirements and a wide variety of concurrent curricular, extracurricular, and external projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and the general public.
- Ability to interpret and follow regulations and procedures of inventory and loan systems, and requisitioning and receiving systems and to make simple arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to maintain, control and organize materials and equipment and keep accurate inventory and loan records.
- Ability to operate and check the functioning of the area’s film, TV and audio-visual equipment and perform minor technical repairs.
- Ability to learn assigned tasks readily and to perform them in accordance with established methods and procedures.
- Ability to assist users in the selection, care and use of the area’s equipment on loan.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of record keeping tasks and to calculate, tabulate and check data accurately and systematically.
- Ability to safely lift a variety of Departmental equipment (i.e. tripods, camera packs, lighting kits, etc).
- Ability to multitask and use strong organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to operate the departmental aerial boom lift.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Completion of a two year program (60 credits) in a related subject field.
- Three years of experience working with film production equipment, including cameras, lighting and grip/electrical equipment and maintaining inventory control, preferably in an education support context. Experience allocating equipment resources, such as sitting on an institutions purchasing committee.
- On and off set supervisory experience with a team of three or more.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff and faculty.
- Effectively allocate equipment, space and staff resources to meet curricular needs.
Posting Detail Information
Internal or External Position
Interview Date (Week Commencing)
Appointment End Date (if temporary)
Days and Hours of Work
Our standard work week is Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 4:00pm. This position may include evenings and week-ends.
Bridge Period (if applicable)
$4,187 to $4,710 per month based on 35 hours per week.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled