The #1 Job Site Created By and For People Working In Film & TV Production
New Jobs Posted Hourly 24 Hours a Day
Thursday, August 22nd, 2019
Company: Douglas College
Location: New Westminster, BC
This regular full-time (35 hours per week) position is available starting July 2, 2019. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30 pm. No modified schedule.
Occasional work arrangements at our New Westminster and Coquitlam campus will be required, as will occasional evening and/or weekend work.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Marketing & Communications, the Communications Coordinator works in collaboration with campus partners to develop, coordinate and implement communication strategies and tactics for Douglas College. This position coordinates external and internal communications to maintain Douglas College’s vibrant reputation and its leadership position within British Columbia post-secondary institutions. The Coordinator assists with the development of annual, long-term, or project-based communications plans for the College that align with independent unit goals, and support the Douglas College Strategic Plan.
1. Creates dynamic content
a. Generates and posts dynamic original content, from a variety of sources (College stakeholders, blogs, web, etc.) to social media, college website, digital video board (Omnivex), blog, DC Connect, the app, CRM, and other communication tools.
b. Organizes, prioritizes and schedules content distribution on social media, digital video board (Omnivex), blog, and other communication tools.
c. Ensures accuracy of content by coordinating workflow and collaborating with members of project teams, including external content contributors, employees, students and others.
d. Researches, organizes information and performs interviews for a variety of internal and external communications including: informational copy, promotional copy, marketing copy, College annual/community report, special bulletins, speeches, video scripts, etc.
e. Provides substantive editing, copy-editing and proofreading services for material written by other College employees.
2. Monitors, recommends and communicates on appropriate tools
a. Protects Douglas College’s reputation by monitoring social networks and independently responding to conversations about Douglas College and advises the Manager about items that may adversely affect the College.
b. Maintains high-level of knowledge and keeps apprised of changes to institutional communication tools in order to use the tools as effectively as possible including digital video board (Omnivex) functionality and Moxie software manager, Ellucian app manager, SiteCore website manager, Bonzai SharePoint overlay, Microsoft CRM software, ClickDimensions, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and others.
c. Approves usage and provides recommendations of digital video board (Omnivex), Douglas College app, social media accounts, and other tools.
d. Educates campus colleagues about traditional, non-traditional and emergent communication channels, and recommends appropriate communication tools to promote their programs, courses, and events.
e. Maintains a comprehensive list of communication channels and tools available to Douglas College employees.
3. Develops and analyzes communication plans
a. Collaborates on development of communication plans for the College, its departments, faculties, and college-wide initiatives that align and support the Douglas College Strategic Plan.
b. Collaborates with Manager, Communications and campus colleagues on college-wide communication projects to define project communication objectives; identify stakeholders, strategies, tactics and timelines; and define how a project’s communication will be deemed successful.
c. Actively seeks partnerships and develops relationships with other campus areas and groups to identify and leverage opportunities for collaborative communication that supports Douglas College’s reputation.
d. Prepares communication analysis reports from a variety of sources (e.g. social media analytics, surveys, Google analytics) to determine the effectiveness of communication plans and makes recommendations for future improvements.
4. Coordinates media relations activities
a. Coordinates media relations outreach for College and college-wide projects including project-specific media relations plans, pitch lists (for traditional and non-traditional outlets), sourcing spokespeople and pitching media.
b. Develops media training materials (e.g. interview questions, briefing notes, etc.) for College spokespeople including president and senior management team, and participates in training with Manager, Communications.
c. Plans, researches, writes, edits and distributes media releases, media advisories, and media kits on College programs, services, issues and special events.
d. Researches and maintains print and electronic media contact list.
e. Communicates with media reporters and editors.
f. Maintains newspaper clipping archive.
g. Analyzes and evaluates media coverage.
5. Performs other duties
a. Assists the Manager of the department when requested
b. Represents the department at internal and external meetings, as requested.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. Completion of a two-year diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a relevant field such as journalism, communications, marketing, or commensurate experience (degree preferred).
2. Three years’ experience working in the communications field including writing for audience and channel, communications plan development, traditional and online media relations and project coordination.
3. Demonstrated high proficiency in copywriting for print and electronic, including excellent control of style variations for different media formats, and tone for different audiences.
4. Proficient editing and proofreading skills, including excellent command of English grammar and punctuation, and a commitment to clear and accurate presentation of material.
5. Proven experience in social media management across multiple platforms including content plan development, content generation and distribution; reputation management; client relationship management; and use of social media management tools.
6. Technological savvy – up-to-date with digital trends and developments, social media analytics, social listening and networking, and mobile marketing.
7. Self-motivated, self-directed and assertive; ability to work under minimal supervision.
8. Willingness and ability to investigate and identify stories and news from across the College.
9. Experience in conceptualizing, planning and developing a wide variety of communications projects and content features, including interactive elements.
10. Proven, solid grasp of communication and marketing fundamentals and tactics.
11. Ability to initiate collaboration and work collaboratively with others.
12. Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information.
13. Demonstrated ability to work effectively as an integral member of a communications team; adaptable to change with a strong customer service focus.
14. Working knowledge of digital photography: ability to take publication-quality photographs in a variety of settings with a digital SLR.
15. Understanding of office procedures as well as standard office software such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
16. Demonstrated ability to keyboard at 40 wpm.
17. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Link to Full Position Profile
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must ensure that a resume and cover letter are submitted online and received by June 11, 2019.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying.
Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position.
All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting