VFX Supervisor – Technicolor – Toronto, ON
Location: Toronto, ON
Our VFX Supervisors report into the Creative Director and partner with our Production teams to bring the creative vision of our clients to life. They not only build strong working relationships with our clients, they also build strong mentoring relationships with our creative teams – not only locally but across sites.
VFX Supervisors are key to our success, required to supervise, monitor, direct and influence the wide-ranging creative aspects of a VFX production across multiple projects. They supply creative vision and work with their Producer to implement solutions to improve the overall efficiency at a show level.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with production and producers on establishing methodologies to meet budget and director’s vision.
- Onset supervision of shots and sequences.
- Ensure the in-studio team delivers quality shots on time and on budget.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director to ensure all VFX shots meet Technicolor’s quality standard.
- Review all work for internal and external delivery, ensuring it hits creative and technical notes.
- Set discipline and quality standards by leading through example and regularly providing feedback to your team.
- Ensure your leads are effectively running their teams, providing guidance to resolve issues in the moment.
- Mentor and actively develop less experienced team members.
- Promote a collaborative and enjoyable workplace influencing morale, fostering purposeful discussion and positive work ethic.
- Work with the Production Managers and Producers, assisting with VFX breakdowns, budgets and shot methodologies as necessary.
- Help on pitching and winning work
Technicolor VFX is the best of both worlds, we can work with you as standalone VFX creatives, or fully integrated with our Technicolor Post family to support your vision from script to screen. From Features to Episodic, our Creative Directors work with their expert teams to provide on set supervision, with a full CG VFX pipeline, we are specialists in digital make up, character enhancement, environments and compositing. Our creative VFX teams are located in London, Toronto and Los Angeles, making Technicolor VFX global in size but local in feel.
- Minimum 3+ years supervisory or leadership experience in creating VFX for TV and feature films.
- Experience of working onset with productions to define methodologies and capture data for in studio use.
- Have expert knowledge of, and experience in, dealing with a wide range of visual effects techniques.
- Have an understanding of/creative eye for photography/film-making, lighting, design and timing/storytelling.
- Practical understanding of the entire production pipeline process.
- Multi-disciplinary understanding derived from working within Effects, Lighting, Compositing and Asset Teams.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanour in a deadline focused work environment.
- Expert people management/leadership and organizational skills.
- Technical and creative problem solving with a can-do mindset.
- Expert time management and prioritization skills.
- Sharpened tactical and creative problem solving sensibilities with a can-do mindset.
- Experience in dealing and communicating with clients.
- Knowledge of practical lighting for photography.
- A working knowledge of the overall VFX pipeline.
- Programming and coding experience and knowledge.
- A professional and friendly manner.
- A team player with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and problem-solve in a fast paced environment.
- College Certificate &/or degree in animation/VFX, or applicable industry experience required.