Position: Senior UX Designer
Reports to: Director, Software Development
Location: Toronto, ON
Facility: Stereo D
Last Updated: May 16, 2019
Stereo D is the recognized leader in high-quality conversions of 2D theatrical content into stereoscopic 3D imagery, working with major motion picture studios, directors, cinematographers, and VFX supervisors to bring their vision of 3D storytelling to the screen. Stereo D has completed work for such films as TITANIC in 3D, THE AVENGERS, AVATAR, CAPTAIN AMERICA, and JACKASS 3D. The company also provides end-to-end 3D production services on feature films, television productions and commercials. Stereo D is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc., ( www.bydeluxe.com ).
We are currently seeking an experienced Senior UX Designer to join our team of Software Development superheroes.
A day in the life of a Sr. UX Designer
The Senior UX Designer will work with the FLUX product team to push our platform’s usability to the next level. The ideal designer will have a passion for taking on complex problems and designing elegant, simple solutions that are easy to understand and use. While a portion of the role will be to improve the current design and interaction, as part of the development team, your bright ideas will also help shape the future functions, features and experiences of the product.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Conduct user research, interviews and surveys and translate the results into workflow diagrams, mockups, A/B testing, prototypes and presentations – all in the name of finding the ideal mix of usability for our product and internal clients.
- Support Address production and artist concerns including finding solutions for workflow issues, validating new feature adoption and managing fixes to help the end users.
- Reconcile conflicting, complex and nuanced user requests and negotiating a path forward.
- Contribute to internal training across facilities via live presentations and feature videos to improve global workflow understanding.
- Collaborate with the developers to validate and iterate on new features and as needed adjust to development constraints and time requirements.
- Participate in the release process and validation of new designs.
- Participate in a positive and productive work environment and contribute to collaborative efforts across multiple facilities.
- 5+ years of UX design experience with software production from conception to completion.
- Education in Digital Design, UX Design, Human Computer Interaction or a related field.
- A passion for resolving user pain points through great design.
- Possess extraordinary visual and user interface design skills, user-centric design principles and ability distill highly complex issues and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and with the ability to present and defend designs to groups and executives.
- Ability to negotiate and create short-term and mid-term strategies.
- Ability to solve root-cause-analysis workflow issues and catch patterns across multiple requests.
- Good time management and the ability to iterate designs and solutions efficiently and intelligently.
- Flexibility to, at times adapt to occasional rapid design turnover needs.
- Affinity for consistency, colour use, typography, and a keen eye for subtle details.
- Highly skilled in Photoshop, Illustrator and other visual design tools.
Nice to haves:
- Experience prototyping with Python/PySide.
- Relational database design concepts, and experience dealing with large databases an asset.
- Experience with Nuke or Maya a plus.
- Experience in designing software for movie production.
- Familiar with the tools or processes used in movie production including post-production, animation and VFX.
Benefits & Perks
- We have a great company culture. We value our Stereo D Crew and the creativity and innovation they put into delivering the amazing projects we work on.
- We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits program
- We’re located in the heart of Liberty Village, close to amenities and easily accessible by public transit
- We dress casual and comfortable
Deluxe is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity and inclusion in our workplace. Accommodation is available on request during all stages of the selection and hiring process.