What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance. Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians. This is a full-time temporary role for 1 year. The schedule consists of a four-day, condensed work week, Thursday to Sunday. Come drive the daily news agenda and help run the biggest news site in Canada. CBCNews.ca is looking for a full-time Senior Producer to lead a team of online journalists on its national news desk and direct the creation and distribution of daily news on our desktop, mobile and social platforms.As Senior Producer, you will manage the content on our biggest pages, including the CBC News home page. You will provide hands-on editorial direction on the daily news agenda and lead and motivate staff to publish and distribute breaking news and fast-paced multimedia content.Reporting to the Executive Producer, you will help oversee CBCNews.ca, guiding programming decisions around breaking news, social media and alerts, video, photos and in-depth content in line with strategic goals.You will assign writers, editors and producers to the top stories each day. You will ensure our desktop and mobile lineups look their best with the latest breaking news and CBC features. You will oversee live streaming and video on our site. You embrace and understand metrics. You have a deep understanding of social strategy. You understand the importance of working across CBC platforms to achieve strategic goals, as you’ll work closely with our journalists and producers in TV, radio and on social media. You bring a distinctive life experience, perspective or expertise to the team that will enrich CBC News content. You have a deep understanding and appreciation of diversity of perspective, opinion and experience.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
University degree or equivalent.
- Minimum seven years recent experience in a large digital news environment.
- Strong journalistic skills.
- Substantial experience writing, copy editing, fact-checking and packaging digital content.
- Ability to assign, manage and motivate staff, coordinate with other departments in a productive manner, and mediate disputes as they arise.
- High-level knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to journalism.
- Excellent general knowledge about Canadian and international news, politics, geography, history, and current issues.
- Experience and proven ability to package online news stories in compelling and innovative ways.
- Ability to manage large volumes of fast-moving information and ensure material is directed appropriately.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- The ability to contribute to the diversity of perspectives on the team.
- Ability to manage news and feature lineups in line with CBC News and audience values.
- Knowledge of user-generated content and social media techniques and policies.
- Excellent online news judgment and ability to work effectively under 24/7 online newsroom deadline pressure.
- Understanding of CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices.
- Experience with metrics and real-time audience data to inform editorial decisions.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Use of content management systems such as Polopoly, Moveable Type, Media Central, MPX/The Platform.
- Canadian Press style; knowledge of CBCNews.ca style an asset.
- Advanced understanding of social platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and their algorithms.
- Use of social content schedulers for consistent and efficient distribution.
- Use of performance measurement tools such as Chartbeat, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics.
- Basic HTML/CSS.
- Basic video editing.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.