Photographer – Group SJR – Toronto, ON
Company: Group SJR
Location: Toronto, ON
When Publishing met PR, Communication, Digital Content Marketing, Strategy and Creativity, SJR was born. We are the newsroom and digital messaging resource for companies. We are the Cool Nerds. We are Journalists that stick to facts. We are Designers and Multimedia creators who live and breathe to storytelling. We are Strategists that ideate. We are Group SJR, and we are seeking an experienced DP to oversee, ideate and create content for our clients.
We are Group SJR, and we are seeking a Photographer to join our growing creative team in Toronto.
Could this be you?
You know what happens behind the scenes in a photo or video shoot in your sleep. You can help us move the creative vision for a video from concept to reality. You are an expert at lighting, sound, equipment, angles. You are passionate about the work you do and know how to do it quickly – sometimes with a small and scrappy team, and sometimes with an army of a crew.
You are an experienced Director of Photography with 5-8 years of experience shooting creative marketing and narrative video content and seeing projects through the entire post-production process. You are an expert working a cine-cam and DSLR, as well as directing/managing other shooters.
An influential analytical and visual thinker; you love to learn, and your craft is perpetually in beta. You strive for creative excellence within collaborative teams and ensure the delivery of required results on time and spec. Responsible for delivering on unique ideas for a variety of clients, you are happiest when helping to craft compelling stories for brands that capture an audience’s interest and attention. That unique smile you wear…when you know, we’re ideally on target? It’s the greatest. We love that, too.
The Photographer’s tasks will evolve. Here are the basics:
- Shoots photo and video using DSLR and cine-cams (including RED and Phantom)
- Directs the production team (both in-house and freelance) during shoots
- Comfortable with a variety of multimedia outputs, including but not limited to mini-doc style videos, creative social videos, cinemagraphs, GIFs, stop motion, still photography, drone photography/video, etc.
- Thrives in a newsroom-style environment where ideation and production happen in tandem, where you embrace agility and speed
- Work with a Producer to identify the right locations, equipment, freelance support, and talent to execute the creative vision
- Works closely with the Account and Creative teams to brainstorm and refine multimedia outputs that align with client goals (and client budgets)
- Retouches photos using Adobe Creative Cloud applications as needed, based on team availability
- Works with Editorial Leads, Video Producers, Design, and strategists to set and execute an overall content calendar
- Works with the Producer to carefully manage budgets and ensure that all vendors are paid and that projects aren’t overbilled.
- Works with the account, editorial and technology partners to direct projects on a conceptual level (providing direction, ideas), manage the process, and then execute
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity coupled with practiced interpersonal skills (including keen listening skills and ability to formulate the right questions)
- Translates and communicates a brand’s vision through compelling video content
- Adapts, responds, and delivers quality results under tight deadlines
- Manages time, priorities and workflow efficiently; take responsibility for periods and delivery.
Presents work internally and externally.
- Organizes and manages multiple streams of source material and client feedback
- Uses collaborative team communication and project management applications like Slack, Trello & MS teams to ensure efficiency
- Shows commitment to continuous improvement with a demonstrated drive to respond to feedback through an iterative review process.
- Works effectively both independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Collaborates, documents and communicates proactively throughout the work cycle
- Checks and reviews content incorporates feedback and ensures work meets SJR’s standard.
- Demonstrates a learning mindset that strives for new, better, more innovative results
- Works closely with design and multimedia teams to develop assets that bring stories to life
- 5-8 years’ experience:
- shooting video and photography, and overseeing a production team on set
- working with agency partners to help set and execute an overall content calendar
- working with agency partners to direct projects on a conceptual level (providing direction, ideas), manage the process, and then complete
- using Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- high-level budget management and tracking
- Post-secondary degree in film studies, new media, cinematography or related field Familiarity with all Adobe Creative Cloud applications and workflows
- Demonstrated production ability with a strong portfolio (Experience creating content for social media and editorial preferred)
- A healthy obsession with social media and video & content formats
- Thorough knowledge of timing, motivation and continuity Familiarity with special effects, 3D and motion graphics
- Creative mind and storytelling skills Keen eye for design, composition and colour
- A creative and visual thinker with strong analytical skills
- Desire to learn, try new things, problem solve Intimate understanding of the digital world
- Strong writing and communication skills Diverse interests and an open mind to new trends, influencers and content.
What’s in it for you?
- Full health benefits package—including healthy paid time off, schedule flexibility, fitness reimbursement, and more
- A career working with and influencing bold, creative teams and client accounts
- A passionate, smart, fun, and creative office culture
- Strong leadership with a focus on entrepreneurial thinking, training and mentoring to help you grow, expand your skills and become your professional best
About Group SJR
Group SJR was founded to address the most significant challenge, and opportunity marketers and communicators face today-audience. How to get it, keep it and build it in a world in which knowledge is the real social currency. As a digital consultancy specializing in insights, content creation, curation and audience development, SJR works with the world’s leading corporations, organizations and institutions to tap, shape and share their unique and invaluable knowledge. Only our custom content creation—original, daily and owned-has the power to authentically build brands, explain complex issues and, most important, connect in real-time with the influencers, media and consumers who matter most.
Group SJR is a Hill+Knowlton Strategies The company, a subsidiary of WPP. We have offices in New York, Toronto and the UK. At SJR, we’re a close-knit team of people who love what we do, and we do a lot, from journalism to website development, filming videos to designing graphics. We’re looking for creative people who are ready to jump right in and start working alongside our various teams. If you’re passionate about digital media, have a willingness to learn new things, and can thrive in a fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you.
Send us your resume and a portfolio of your best work. That’s it!