Managing Editor, Media Solutions (English Services) – CBC/Radio-Canada – Toronto, ON
Location: Toronto, ON
Job Family Revenue
Primary Location Toronto
Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) – – –
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC/Radio-Canada’s Content Marketing teams are the content experts within CBC/Radio-Canada’s advertising division. We help your favourite brands create content that connects with Canadians. Equal parts media strategists and content-producers, we are a team of brand storytellers working across TV, digital, audio and social channels to create content for our clients that deepen their relationship with Canadians and drive business results for their bottom line.
As a leader, inspiring those around you must come naturally. You feel compelled to challenge traditional ways of thinking and are focused on always doing things better and helping those around you do the same. We count on you to shape the culture that helps our people thrive – all while navigating a constantly evolving environment.
In concert with the Director of Content Marketing, the Managing Editor is responsible for the overall vision, strategy and editorial direction of custom content and advertising creative produced by Media Solutions for advertising partners. This includes supporting the sales team in landing revenue-generating branded content partnerships from end to end by devising industry-leading branded content concepts and managing the production of custom partnerships that bring these to life.
The incumbent will develop and supervise the branded content produced by Media Solutions for clients. S/he will conceive new ideas for custom content for CBC/Radio-Canada clients and power these with effective distribution & promotional plans, utilizing all of CBC’s media assets. The Managing Editor will be the primary resource for the sales teams for branded content pitches – conceiving concepts for content marketing solutions for brands, particularly written, audio & video solutions. S/he will collaborate with internal stakeholders such as Digital Products, Content Execs, Business & Rights, Communications or other departments as necessary to ensure feasibility and quality of the content solutions.
The Managing Editor will craft content strategy briefs, and concepts for pitch decks that bring to life the content partnerships in a compelling manner for clients. S/he will be a key player in the sales process, acting as a content advisor and will attend client meetings to bring to life and strategize content solutions.
The Managing Editor will bring industry insights, technological advancements and a relentless commitment to innovation that will continually push CBC’s branded content business forward. The incumbent will instill a performance-based mindset in the management of this division, setting KPIs and metrics for assessing content solutions. S/he will collaborate on pricing strategies and cost models around branded content to maximize the revenue potential of this business line.
The Managing Editor will be expected to forge and maintain close working ties with leading-edge production partners including writers, editors, graphic designers, videographers, directors, producers, social influencers and others. S/he will supervise and manage the work of the team’s data scientist and creative teams producing content, ensuring CBC/Radio-Canada pitches and produces nothing but best-in-class branded content that delivers business results for clients in line with CBC/Radio-Canada standards of quality. This includes providing vision to our content strategy and overseeing the production of content, as well as the assignment of resources and scheduling associated with developing the partnerships. You along with the Manager, Activation will determine and supply costs for content solutions.
In conjunction with the Director – Content Marketing, the incumbent will allocate branded content resources and ensure proper software & production resources are in place to drive our branded content business. The Managing Editor will locate and manage budget, ensuring achievement of fiscal objectives.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- At least 5 years’ prior experience producing high-quality digital content and/or broadcast content. Preference for candidates with advanced knowledge in digital journalism, documentary or informational content storytelling and a strong command of content production processes across multiple content formats and media platforms (Digital, Social, Audio, Television).
- Ideal candidate will also have prior experience producing advertising or branded content, including social media and influencer marketing campaigns, and digital advertising strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with an emphasis on journalism, marketing, and/or creative writing.
- A creative mind is essential to develop ideas for content on a daily basis across a variety of content formats and client categories.
- Advanced leadership and public-speaking skills are required to inspire sales teams & clients, and direct our creative, self-motivated activation team.
- The ability to make decisions rapidly and calmly, usually under pressure of a deadline is vital as is the ability to keep track of a multitude of simultaneous activities.
- Experience managing content production in a variety of media (interactive digital, written journalism, audio / video production, social video, TV production, audio production).
- Prior supervisory experience working with content production teams.
- An innate dedication to excellence that will drive you to produce best in-class content and uphold the quality standards Canadians expect of CBC/Radio-Canada.
- Strong command of social media distribution strategies, branded content tools and innovative story-telling platforms.
- Aptitude in business management – developing revenue forecasts, setting pricing strategies and managing operating budgets in order to deliver on business targets.
- Strong creative, editorial mindset and proven content storytelling expertise.
- Content marketing strategy – ability to translate brand business challenges into content solutions.
- A self-starter! Ability to manage many deadlines and deliverables of a team with minimal direction.
- Impeccable relationship-building and communication skills.
- Exceptional writing, visual-storytelling and editing skills.
- An innate dedication to excellence – drive to constantly do better.
- Attention to detail and organization skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Confident public speaker, as you will present to sales teams, participate in client pitches and speak in industry forums.
- Fluency in French and English is an asset.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ”Apply online”. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Job Posting Date Dec 5, 2019, 9:14:13 AM
Unposting Date Dec 20, 2019, 1:59:00 AM