Job Title: Coordinator, Technical Services
Position Type: Full-time Contract (1 Year)
Department: Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV)
Reporting to: Director, Event Operations Indirect Staff: AV Technicians
Anticipated Start Date: August 5, 2019
*Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period. However, no offers will be made until after the posting closes.
Location: Artscape Daniels Launchpad, Artscape Weston Common and Artscape Gibraltar Point, with a permanent desk at Artscape Daniels Launchpad.
Reporting to the Director, Event Operations, and working very closely with the APEV Sales and Logistics departments, the Coordinator, Technical Services works across the Artscape Performance and Event Venues portfolio to deliver high-quality, customer focused technical services to internal and external stakeholders, including APEV clients and colleagues.
This role is responsible for the day-to-day technical coordination for Artscape Daniels Launchpad, Artscape Weston Common and Artscape Gibraltar Point and will require movement to work onsite at multiple Artscape locations.
The Coordinator, Technical Services is the perfect role for an audio-visual technician who is looking to take their technical experience to the next level, through coordination, administration, client consultation and technical event management.
- Coordinates delivery of high-quality event technical services in line with Artscape organizational policies and provincial and federal legislation.
- Consults with and advises clients to determine and document technical requirements for events in multiple spaces, ensuring client expectations are managed in a polite and professional manner in line with organizational policies.
- Provides guidance and training on the planning, setup and safe operation of audio-visual equipment required for successful execution of tenant and community events.
- Reviews client event documentation to ensure compliance with building and fire codes and health and safety policies.
- Liaises with suppliers for supplemental event equipment and staffing estimates, rentals, shipping and receiving and payments.
- Provides guidance and advice to colleagues with regards to event technical aspects and best practices.
- Schedules technical staff in accordance with Employment Standards ensuring that client needs are met.
- Provides direction to on-site technical staff, ensuring professional event execution and adherence to health and safety and accessibility policies.
- Reviews and provides first level approval of hours worked by part time technical staff for payroll purposes.
- Coordinates day-to-day equipment maintenance ensuring inventory is functional and well-maintained.
- Coordinates and facilitates equipment transport between venues as needed.
- Supports the Assistant Manager, Event Operations with part-time staff emergencies by providing coverage after-hours and over weekends.
- Provides services as audio-visual technician during events as needed, ensuring professional event execution and adherence to health and safety and accessibility policies.
- Acts as backup to APEV event operations team for vacation and time off.
- Assists Director, Event Operations with the planning and development of equipment lists and long-term equipment management strategy for the portfolio.
- Assists Director, Event Operations with the development of capital replacement strategies.
- Assists the APEV team with implementation of technical systems within the APEV portfolio as required.
- Passionate, collaborative team environment in an open concept office.
- Flexible work week including evenings and weekends.
- Consistent ability to interact with a wide range of temperaments and communication styles.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a theatre technician
- Degree/diploma in theatre production from a post-secondary institution or equivalent employment experience
- Working knowledge of Ontario Building Code
- Valid Ontario G license
- AODA Customer Service Standards and other AODA training as directed
- Working at Heights
- Elevated Work Platform Certification
- CPR-C First Aid
- Customer Service training considered an asset.
The Technical Coordinator requires a professional standard of knowledge to install, operate, maintain and troubleshoot the following at minimum:
- Various lighting fixtures, dimmers and control surfaces;
- Various sound equipment, including analog and digital consoles, appropriate speaker and microphone use, placement and best practices; playback devices.
- Common video equipment, including projectors and switchers, playback devices and software.
- Computer networking, including ethernet equipment and cabling and Wifi.
- Computer aided design systems, ie. AutoCad or Vectorworks.
- Power systems, distribution equipment, amperage calculations.
- Rigging systems and associated safety requirements and practices.
- AODA compliant staging systems including risers and drapery
- Strong customer-centric focus for guiding clients with various degrees of technical knowledge to deliver the highest quality event possible.
- Ability to explain complex technical requirements into plain language for clients and stakeholders.
- Exercises good judgment and demonstrated understanding of health and safety standards.
- Ability to diffuse conflict while working in a fast-paced event environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of equity and inclusion in the diverse communities that Artscape serves.
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.
ABOUT ARTSCAPE Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work involves clustering creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. artscape.ca
Job Types: Full-time, Contract