Senior Technical Art Director – Microsoft – Redmond, WA
Location: Redmond, WA
The Cognition Design team in the Intelligent Cloud organization is responsible for designing experiences in HoloLens (AR) and Windows Mixed Reality (VR), the world’s first Mixed Reality computing platform. Our growing team of designers, artists, architects and creative coders understand the potential of Mixed Reality, and how it will revolutionize the way people work, play and communicate; and we are passionate about bringing these benefits to people across the globe.
We’re excited to announce we are looking for a talented, experienced Senior Technical Artist to join our team. This position requires technical and creative expertise in the evaluation, creation, and optimization of 3D art and assets, and moving them at high levels of quality and performance to mobile platforms, esp. HoloLens.
Strong technical art, programming, and 3D visual skills are required. You are highly-skilled in 3D art creation and optimization tools; you can code shaders; you have production-pipeline expertise (especially in Unity); and you have broader app-design capabilities (concept/ideation, user-focused problem-solving, 3D app patterns). Experience in AI and Mixed Reality is highly desired.
In addition, you have a passion for communicating and sharing your work, both in documentation and at live events. You are happy engaging with others (including external Microsoft partners) in a team-setting, and you also enjoy rolling your sleeves up for focused, solo, hands-on design work. You embrace challenges, build strong relationships across teams and disciplines, and are highly collaborative.
- Create and own new tools and technologies that increase the iteration process for character development
- Partner with developers to build workflows, tools, engine, editor, and rendering features
- Constantly improve and advocate for content creation and production best practices
- Provide mentorship, feedback, and training to others on the team
- Work through ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
- Actively contribute to growth of new start up studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- 8+ years experience in creating feature film quality characters
- 3+ years experience creating or delivering 3D experiences on mobile or game consoles
- Deep knowledge of rendering pipelines, game engines and performance considerations, and asset optimization tools
- Extensive knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya/Max/Modo/Houdini/Zbrush/etc), and the ability to extend the capabilities of these packages via plugin APIs
- Working knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/HLSL/GLSL and the ability to script in various languages
- Knowledge and use of PIX, RenderDoc or other frame and rendering analysis tools
- Experience with Mixed Reality and AI/Cognitive Services is a huge plus
- Capable of working quickly in the prototyping phase and then delivering final, quality code that can be leveraged by others
- Comfortable working within an environment in which the goals evolve rapidly and technical and design hurdles need to be solved on the fly
- Strong communication skills and a strong desire to meet customer needs
- BFA or MA Design and/or Computer Science degree, or comparable experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.