Art Director – Microsoft – Redmond, WA
Location: Redmond, WA
The Customer Success Engineering “MARVEL” team’s mission is to empower every customer to feel like the hero of their domain and to achieve their goals with confidence and ease. To this end, we deliver content and experiences that help our customers achieve more with Microsoft 365, ranging from the online support and learning experiences (support.office.com), community (answers.microsoft.com), and in-product Help, to the rich and powerful templates and themes used by millions and millions of customers around the globe (templates.office.com).
We are a multi-disciplinary team of UX designers, videographers, storytellers, content experts, product managers, data scientists, and engineers who work together to help our customers succeed. We approach each problem with data-driven customer empathy. We have an environment where it’s safe to fail and learn quickly from failures. We contribute to the success of others. We create our own clarity, and we lead with a sense of urgency.
We are expanding our Creative team this year as we re-invent several core end-to-end customer scenarios, and we are looking for a Principal Art Director to join us in this exciting time of growth. This position requires a solid foundation of visual and interaction design skills, the ability to go from customer need to user stories to wireframes to high fidelity visuals, with particular expertise creating visually coherent and highly appealing consumer-grade experiences that delight customers.
This role also requires excellent communication skills, the ability to work effectively across multiple organizations, and an eagerness to deliver impact by leveraging the work of others and contributing to the success of others.
- For a given initiative, lead a cross-disciplinary team through the full creative lifecycle from discovering customer needs to defining and delivering a solution
- Define principles for the creative and content teams to follow to ensure creative output is coherent and aligned with organizational goals and customer needs
- Provide creative leadership and art direction for designs and experiences created by the team
- Work closely with our Creative Director to develop our culture and corresponding set of processes across the team
- 8+ years’ experience in visual and interaction design
- At least 3 years’ experience delivering consumer-facing solutions that delivered on key business metrics
- Proven ability to understand and design for complex systems (ex: Microsoft Office, Windows) with massive scale
- Expertise using UX design toolsets and ramping up quickly on new tools
- Experience using design sprints and agile methods to rapidly prototype and iterate based on customer feedback
- Comfortable working within an environment in which the goals evolve rapidly and technical and design hurdles need to be solved on the fly
- Strong communication skills and a strong desire to meet customer needs
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.