Television Series Promotion, Production and Distribution Intern – KQED Inc. – San Francisco, CA
Company: KQED Inc.
Location: San Francisco, CA
The Television Series Production Distribution and Promotions intern extends the efforts of the KQED Presents team in acquiring, packaging, distributing and promoting national and local television series. Such series include the KQED national production Film School Shorts, the local production Truly CA and many independently produced television presentations.
A KQED Presents intern would assist in promotional press outreach, online post-production efforts, rights tracking, website generation, administrative tasks and assistance with screening and submissions (for broadcast television and online distribution) and submission and selection process, by:
- Facilitating web partnerships of Film School Shorts (local and national audience) and Truly CA (local audience).
- Researching: current indie film/short film/documentary trends; media influencers; film organizations; film school programs; and university-produced content.
- Identifying partners for specific programming and online content (including bloggers/vloggers, notable individuals in the media, film/TV organizations, and academia) and forging relationships via phone calls, emails and follow-up.
- Create original content (memes, Vines, GIFs) for social media as assigned.
- Upload videos to KQED online properties via YouTube and PBS Video, and building video resources on the KQED Presents Vimeo site.
- Manage the department’s DVD archives, contact databases and inventory.
- Provide support for events, screenings and filmmaker panels.
- Evaluate filmmaker submissions, and participating in documentary and short film selection.
- Catalogue new acquisitions, track production deliverables, and assist with the captioning, edit and packaging process- including reviewing submissions for profanity, nudity and other “flaggable content”
Successful interns will have the opportunity to:
- Get an inside look at how indie films go from submission to broadcast.
- Better understand the public television distribution system.
- Learn the post-production and packaging requirements for network television.
- Assist in social media and online community engagement and promotion.
- An interest in public media, Television Broadcast and film distribution
- Experience with social media, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Experience with YouTube & Vimeo
- Basic video/image/audio editing skills and basic understanding of video codecs.
- Adobe Premiere and nonlinear editing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and WordPress preferred.
- Strong online research skills and a basic understanding of online database platforms, such as IMDB, Film Freeway and Wikipedia.
- A genuine passion for independent film, particularly short films (fiction, animation, documentary) and feature-length documentaries.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to work independently learn quickly and balance multiple assignments.
- Excellent oral, written and online communication skills with a high comfort level for making new connections and reaching out to filmmakers, media organizations, universities and bloggers/vloggers.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.