Creative Director – Better Place Forests – San Francisco, CA
Company: Better Place Forests
Location: San Francisco, CA
Better Place Forests
Better Place Forests is building America’s first conservation memorial forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial. We’re completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, depressing and unfriendly end-of-life industry. We’re also tackling a huge market opportunity > $600B in North America alone.
Eighty percent of the 75M baby boomers in North America are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private, and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX, and Blue Bottle, and we’ve received national coverage in publications such asThe New York Times ( https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/style/forest-burial-death.html ),Fast Company ( https://www.fastcompany.com/90366340/inside-the-vc-backed-forest-cemetery-that-could-disrupt-how-we-die ) and The Today Show. ( https://www.today.com/video/startup-aims-to-save-forests-by-using-trees-as-gravestones-67344965745 ) We were recently named a finalist in Fast Company’s 2019 Innovation By Design Awards ( https://www.fastcompany.com/90386286/innovation-by-design-2019-spaces-places-cities ) for innovative architecture and urban design. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com ( http://www.betterplaceforests.com/ ).
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” – Fast Company
About The Role:
As the Creative Director at Better Place Forests, you’ll have the rare opportunity to build a brand from the ground up in a company that is overflowing with compelling storytelling opportunities. This leadership role reports directly to the CMO, and you’ll be responsible for defining our brand – everything from mission and tone of voice to design systems and brand personas – and then bringing that brand to life with award-winning creative campaign execution. Our CEO is a big believer in the value of creative brand-building and has ambitions to win the creative industry’s most prestigious hardware as a brand studio.
In your first year, you’ll build a creative team of copywriters, art directors, designers, and producers from scratch. As the company’s creative lead, you thrive on big, bold ideas, but you’re also meticulous and obsessed with the details. You can effectively articulate the value of creative campaigns to the company’s leadership and you’ll be an amazing mentor to your team, helping them refine their skills and thinking to deliver incredible work.
Most importantly, you’re excited to work on something that actually matters. We’re de-stigmatizing the conversation around end-of-life and empowering our customers with a beautiful offering that delivers peace of mind while making the uncertainty of death less scary. Along the way, we’re contributing to critical forest conservation efforts across the country. These efforts deserve a skilled and highly motivated creative leader with high EQ and a penchant for compelling storytelling.
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead the company through a complete branding effort, defining everything from our mission and tone of voice to our design systems and brand personas.
- Drive creative execution across the company, enforcing a high quality of output while balancing the trade-offs required to move quickly in a high-growth company.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure superior quality, cohesion, and impact of creative solutions across all company touch points.
- Own all marketing campaign creative from ideation and concepting to implementation across a wide variety of channels, including: online advertising, website, OOH, radio/podcast, TV, print and events/experiential.
- Articulate the emotional core of Better Place Forests and identify opportunities for compelling storytelling that will build our brand and grow awareness.
- Build out and mentor an internal creative team of copywriters, art directors, designers and producers. There is currently headcount for 6 hires in 2020.
- Identify, onboard and manage a roster of agencies and freelancers who will help us expand rapidly in the year ahead.
- Be a key culture driver, emphasizing the value of experimentation while creating a safe space for failure and learning.
You’re the Creative Director of our dreams because you have:
- 5+ years Creative Director experience at a top agency and/or consumer company. Strong preference for candidates with in-house Creative Director experience.
- 8+ years total creative experience with a strong preference for copywriting background. Open to design/art director background with penchant for compelling storytelling.
- Proven industry cred with award-winning campaigns and creative execution.
- Experience leading projects and process spanning from strategy, ideation, and validation to production.
- Strong background of building, mentoring, inspiring, and retaining creative teams. Your teams absolutely love you.
- Demonstrated ability defining brands from the ground up including brand guidelines, tone of voice, and design systems.
- An undeniable passion for storytelling.
- The grit and commitment needed to translate end-of-life preparation and death into a compelling creative opportunity. You love a challenge and you see opportunities where most don’t.
- Strong communication skills and high EQ. You can move effortlessly between empathetic conversations with our customers and strategy reviews with our executive team