ACD, Art Director – The Clorox Company – Oakland, CA
Company: The Clorox Company
Location: Oakland, CA
The Clorox Company
Make your mark
At Clorox, we build big brands that make everyday life better, every day. We value our differences, and challenge each other to think and act boldly. We try new things, succeed, fail and keep learning. We work hard, and have busy personal lives. And we’re all able to make a positive impact – at Clorox, in our communities, and in the lives of millions of people who invite us into their homes. Make your mark and help us drive Good Growth – growth that is profitable, sustainable and responsible.
Job Overview/SummaryElectro Creative Workshop, the internal agency at The Clorox Company, is looking for an experienced content art director to be Associate Creative Director, Art Director for Burt’s Bees and other brands. This position reports to our Creative Director, Digital and Content and leads creative projects for video, photography, social media, brand campaigns, website work, emails, and other digital/content projects. As ACD, Art Director, you will partner with the ACD, Design to co-lead Electro’s work for the brand. You will be a guiding voice and creative spark leading your projects and directing designers, writers, illustrators, and other makers.
1. Creative Execution and Leadership— Creative concepting and execution. Leads 3+ direct reports. Develop creative ideas for a range of digital projects and content for the Burt’s Bees brand and other brands as assigned. Work in collaboration with other team members to brainstorm and develop ideas. Owns primary responsiblity for maintaining brand standards on assigned brands. Assembles creative presentations, pitches creative concepts to clients and manages creative workflow through production with the help of account and project management. Regularly attends and directs shoots and post-production sessions (some travel required). Contributes to the custom creation/production of content in-house as needed. (75%)
2. Client Relationship — This is a client-facing role with responsibility for client presentations up to the VP level. A key point of contact for managing discussions around client creative feedback. Maintains relationships with the studio leaders and presents a consistent point-of-view on all brands for content creative. Provides ongoing thought leadership partnership to clients.
3. Process and organizational — Co-manages the productivity of the team. Collaborates with the ACD, Design to ensure smooth process and consistency within the creative team. This inlcudes shared responsbilitiy of effectively managing work against schedule and budget expectations. Also contributes ideas and recommendations for ongoing organizational improvements (i.e. talent, process, and tools). Collaborates with project managers and account managers to ensure smooth, effecient workflow and positive culture in the team.
4. External Focus— Maintains a connection to external creative industry. Stays up to date on current trends in content creativity. Maintains a presense in the industry by participating in conferences, forums, and award shows. Keeps a constant eye on emerging talent to bring into the agency (vendors, artists, production companies, individual designers/writers, etc.).
Key Skills, Abilities and Experience Required
Years and Type of Experience:
- 10+ years experience in art direction with experience in ad agencies.
- Leads creative projects including owned-digital, film/video and other content creation.
- Minimum 3 years as a people manager of other creatives.
- Digital creative experience including concpets, content for websites, emails/CRM, social media, and other digital work.
- Experience with integrated brand campaigns (TV, print, digital, outdoor, experiential)
- Understanding of digital production process with experience collaborating with digital strategists, UX, analytics, and developers.
- Experience developing brand standards.
- Creative operations experience in a medium to large organization
- In-house experience a plus.
- Work in the consumer packaged goods categories.
- International experience a plus
- Non-commercial artisitc work is a plus. (We’d love to see examples of your other passions.)
Skills and Abilities
- A skilled art director who can craft compelling, on brand concepts for multiple brands.
- Ability to flex art direction style to a varity of brand visual approaches.
- A multi-talented creative professional who has maker/designer chops.
- A student of pop-culture who is up to date on cultural trends relevant to all of our target audiences.
- A true “connector” type of professional who can collaborate easily and effectively in a creative team environment.
- Provides conceptual partnership to other creatives for various projects.
- Team builder and leader who is able to inspire others (clients, partners, creatives)
- Expert creative presentation skills
- A passion for creativity and design
- Direction of video shoots and directing on screen talent in studio and on location
- Digital production and workflow. Knowledge of Sketch and Invision.
- Maker abilities beyond graphic design (writing, fine art, photography, performance art, welding…)
- BFA in design, art, or equivalent.
- Completed a portfolio program at an advertising or design school.
Bachelor’s Degree, College Diploma, or Equivalent
More about Marketing
Marketing is a powerful growth engine for Clorox. We create winning ideas that drive consumer value and energize our brands and businesses around the world. Consumers are at the center of everything we do, and our brand teams translate passion for the consumer into business results. We use consumer insights to develop and implement marketing plans, create and evaluate business-building projects, and inspire new product development opportunities. Join our team to help us develop human-centered, technology-enabled, purpose-driven brands.
More About Clorox
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with approximately 8,800 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2019 sales of $6.2 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products;
- Pine-Sol® cleaners
- Liquid-Plumr® clog removers
- Poett® home care products
- Fresh Step® cat litter
- Glad® bags, wraps and containers
- Kingsford® charcoal
- Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces
- Brita® water-filtration products; Burt’s Bees® natural personal care products
- RenewLife® digestive health products
- Rainbow Light®, Natural Vitality™ and NeoCell® dietary supplements.
The company also markets industry-leading products and technologies for professional customers, including those sold under the CloroxPro™ and Clorox Healthcare® brand names. Nearly 80% of the company’s sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories