Senior Graphic Designer – Portland Community College – Portland, OR
Company: Portland Community College
Location: Portland, OR
Portland Community College
Portland Community College seeks a talented senior graphic designer to lead the college to excellence in communicating with multiple audiences across the full range of media. Beyond the minimum educational requirements for this position, we are specifically interested in applicants with a strong background in graphic design.
The successful candidate will employ both creative and communication skills to lead the development of compelling designs to achieve the college’s diverse range of marketing goals.
Responsibilities will include digital, video and print designs promoting student recruitment, fundraising, events and internal communication. You will collaborate with students, professional designers, copywriters and videographers to produce relevant and effective creative.
Apply to join the PCC marketing department team. We operate in an inclusive culture, with multiple opportunities for variety, creativity and impact. No two days are the same. Become a contributor to fulfilling a terrific mission with colleagues who value fun and team work as a path to highly creative marketing that inspires people to succeed.
Access to the candidate’s online portfolio of design samples is required as part of the application
Here is our intended Recruitment Timeline:
Open for Applications: December 13, 2019
Best Consideration Date: January 10, 2020
Initial Interviews (may be video): Week of January 27, 2020
Finalist Interviews (on campus): Week of February 10, 2020
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
- Knowledge and successful use of current graphic design tools and best practices
- Proven ability to develop compelling creative concepts and designs with the ability to effectively advocate for the work
- Demonstrated capability with culturally responsive communication and interpersonal skills with diverse audience
Teamwork and Organizational Skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to “self-start” and lead plans and/or projects
- Collaborative team member, with demonstrated ability to communicate, coach and influence without direct authority
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
- Associates degree in communications, graphic arts, advertising, journalism or related field (Experience performing the duties of the job may substitute for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.)
- Three years of progressively responsible experience performing these or similar duties in advertising, marketing, public relations or another communication field
- Demonstrated experience in information and interface design and project management.
- Demonstrated ability to apply strategic direction to originate creative design concepts
Mastery of the tools in the Adobe Design Creative Suite with experience in multiple media including:
Digital, including web and email
Knowledge of HTML
Print, including brochures/magazines
- Proficient creator of fresh, compelling designs derived from established brand standards
- Effective client manager and advocate for brand standards and creative work
- Influential mentor as the supervisor of student design interns
- Self-starter who appropriately balances initiative and collaboration as a member of a creative team
23 Starting Salary Expectations
The first two steps of the range are: $4,170 to $4,295 per month. Higher salary placement may be available based on qualifications, experience and internal equity. Note: Placement will not typically exceed Step 5 ($4,694 per month) on the salary range. Position Grade Salary Range
$50049 to $80313 Annual Salary FTE
1 PCC Benefits
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee’s Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and dependent children under 24 years of age. Partial tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions (full-time employees only).
- Paid Leave: (Pro-rated by FTE for Part-Time Employees)
- Starts at 6.67 hours of vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
- 8 hours of sick leave per month
- 24 hours of additional personal leave days per year
- 11 Paid holidays
View a complete list of PCC benefits.Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Work is primarily performed in an office environment. Work pressure, disturbances of workflow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Changes in the performance environment such as new and evolving web technology require occasional upgrading of skills to maintain state-of-the-art proficiency. Some learned physical skill is required during the course of the regular work routine to operate a computer and other office related equipment.Background Check Required
Portland Community College complies with the Oregon Veterans’ Preference in Public Employment law which provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. You will be given instructions during the application process to claim Veterans’ Preference in the recruitment of this position, and to provide the documents required for verification of eligibility. Please do not send your documentation to the hiring manager directly. For verification of eligibility, please submit the following documentation:
- Veterans: DD214
- Disabled Veterans: DD214 and Letter from the Department of VA
Portland Community College is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected class.