**All applicants interested in this position must apply at the County Of Erie’s website (https://careers.eriecountypa.gov/) to be considered for this position.
Definition of Class
- This is professional work in public health education. An employee in this class plans, implements and promotes county-wide public health education services or is responsible for planning, implementing and promoting educational functions in one or more specific field(s) such as immunization, injury prevention, wellness promotion, cancer or tobacco education. Work involves conducting studies and surveys of public health education needs, determining the best strategies to use to meet objectives, consulting and partnering with community organizations to gain local support, and evaluating the effectiveness of the public health education measures employed. Work includes making recommendations about the most effective public health education methods and procedures to encourage promotion of good health habits and target risk factors. Work may include assisting in grant writing, administering contracts with service providers and in budget preparation and management. Work is performed independently in accordance with accepted public health education methods and models under the supervision of a professional or administrative superior, and is subject to review through conferences, reports and project evaluations.
Nature of Work
- Plans, implements and promotes public health education services.
- Plans, implements and promotes one or more specific public health education functions such as immunization, injury prevention, wellness promotion, cancer or tobacco education.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to health department personnel, school personnel, voluntary health and welfare agencies, state and local authorities and citizen groups in promoting and improving health education issues.
- Researches and prepares health educational material for brochures, articles, news releases, videos and/or TV and radio spots to heighten public awareness.
- Plans and directs workshops, institutes, forums and discussion groups to promote public health.
- Conducts studies and surveys of public health education needs and determines the best strategies to use to meet objectives.
- Consults with and forms partnerships with community organizations to provide technical assistance and gain local support for health initiatives.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of health improvement strategies and measures employed using accepted public health education methods and models.
- Recommends the most effective public health education methods and procedures to encourage promotion of good health habits and target risk factors.
- Plans, coordinates and implements public health initiatives, such as National Public Health Week and Governor’s Workout Week.
- Assists in the administration of contracts, grant writing, budget preparation and budget management.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of public health and public health education.
- Knowledge of the facilities, media, methods and techniques of disseminating educational information to the public.
- Knowledge of the nature and functions of community agencies that may contribute to, or benefit by, a public health education program.
- Knowledge of educational psychology, adult education, group dynamics and community organization.
- Knowledge of statistics and their use in planning and evaluating public health education programs.
- Ability to learn and perform program planning, contract administration, grant writing and the preparation and management of budgets.
- Ability to develop and administer public health education services.
- Ability to develop various forms of public health educational materials and to utilize diverse media in the presentation of such materials.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, and to speak effectively before diverse groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to give aid in health education problem analysis to associates, representatives of state and local agencies and community groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Education/related field
- Minimum of 2 years of Experience in Health Education/related field, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Conditions Of Employment
- The selected candidate will be pre-employment required to obtain, at their own expense, 3 forms of clearance, including PA State Police Criminal History Record Check; PA Child Abuse History; and FBI Criminal History Background Check including finger printing.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $20.41 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
Typical start time:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19