Reports To: Production Manager – Dance
Oversee costume design and execution for all dance productions. Responsible for Dance Costume Shop functioning in an efficient and orderly manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theatre with concentration in costuming or equivalent education.
- Sewing and design skills and experience; minimum three years professional experience in dance costuming;
- Understand dance costuming and how to interpret choreographer’s vision; experience in assisting and working with students;
- basic computer skills required
- Skilled at dance costume design and execution, organization and management skills
- Availability to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Coordinate costume needs for guest designers and/or have design capabilities for 6 dance productions for Department of Dance and International Summer Dance. Coordinate hair and make-up for necessary shows.
- Consult with Choreographer(s) as to wardrobe, hair and make-up requirements for his/her piece.
- Understand and work within budget parameters as set forth by Producing Director with Production Manager for Dance and Chair of Dance.
- Sets the standards for costume construction in the workroom and oversees quality control and consistency of construction while maintaining a safe work environment for staff and students.
- Maintain supply inventory, oversee day-to-day usage, coordinate supply sources for maximum cost efficiency.
- Coordinate, the construction, the purchasing, and modification of costumes as required by performance and designer needs while maintain budget control.
- Attend technical rehearsals as needed. Follow tech protocol. Attend & run all costume “strike” calls.
- Supervise Federal Work Study, Apprenticeship students and/or over hire for all costuming projects and properly administer time sheets for their work hours.
- Maintain daily contact with stage manager and rehearsal/performance reports for notes concerning costumes that need to be procured, repaired or replaced.
- Perform routine and special maintenance on costumes and shop equipment & Maintain inventory of dance costumes.
- Maintain clean & safe working environment of all Dance Costume storage areas & dressing rooms and dance costume related areas.
- Oversees the hiring of temporary labor and over hire.
- Facilitates pulling costume pieces for shows & media shoots and returning them to storage.
- Coordinate dance costume rentals.
- Coordinates dressing room needs with stage management.
- Attend all production, department head and any pertinent meetings relating to costumes.
Working Environment: Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Physical Demands: Job requires repetitively lifting weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to [email protected] (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference – DANCE COSTUME & SHOP SUPERVISOR – in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.