Senior Video Editor/Motion Designer – First Look Media – New York, NY
Company: First Look Media
Location: New York, NY
First Look Media
The Creative Team is seeking a Senior Video Editor/Motion Designer to produce and edit all things video. Our team supports the creative needs of, and produces content for First Look Media and all of its brands, with a majority of that support allocated to Topic ( http://topic.com/ ). Projects will include editing video for promos, sizzles and trailers, working with a producer / editor to organize and produce shoots, editing captured footage for original social first content series, creating one-off videos and animations to be used as original content and / or to support an editorial piece, creating explainer videos, and overall motion graphics and video support.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with our brands, the digital media industry, and all of the platforms where our presence and content live, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, TV Apps (Roku, AppleTV), and Snapchat. They should also have a passion for supporting independent voices, storytelling and journalism, and an appreciation for meaningful content.
We are looking for a talented and creative storyteller that is incredibly hard-working, highly motivated, organized and efficient, adaptable, professional, collaborative, supportive, a great communicator, and with an overall great work ethic.
- Create video promos, teasers, trailers across all First Look Media brands.
- Create sizzle reels, showcasing our content for use on website and in presentations.
- Animate motion graphics to improve storytelling across all brands.
- Edit BTS footage as bonus content.
- Help to shoot in-house interviews and one-off videos, including rental equipment selection, hiring and managing DP’s and crews to assist if needed, and within budget.
- Going on location to shoot interviews, b-rolls, and other content needed for projects, and edit that captured content.
- Help to ideate, organize logistics, and produce shoots.
- Work collaboratively with a producer/editor to tag team shared projects.
- Own individual projects from conception to completion.
- Work directly with the head of creative and other stakeholders to constantly push, evolve, and elevate the work.
- Work closely with project managers and keep them in the loop regarding status of our projects.
- Host workshops and tutorials to share any tips and techniques that may help the collective team grow or improve process.
- Keep up to date on top of industry trends, advancements and new storytelling techniques that could elevate the FLM’s brands.
- Pulling stills from video for thumbnails.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of related experience as a video editor / motion designer.
- Significant experience in editing with Adobe Premiere and animating with Adobe AfterEffects.
- Ability to find creative solutions to complex problems, multi-task, and prioritize accordingly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience telling emotionally compelling stories through video.
- Experience using stock audio tracks, audio enhancements and sound design to elevate the brand.
- Experience using color correction to enhance quality and consistency of video.
- Experience renting and operating cameras, lighting and other shoot equipment.
- Incredibly creative, organized, efficient and dedicated to creating quality work.
- Ability to take and give feedback as a process and a means to continually improve, grow and pivot as needed.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and to prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves and get things done in a startup environment.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast paced environment.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer–people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.