Photo Editor – Complex – New York, NY
Location: New York, NY
Complex Networks formed from the acquisition of Complex Media Inc. through a joint venture by Verizon and Hearst. Today, it is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture. Complex Networks’ digital channels, which include Complex News, First We Feast, Pigeons & Planes, Sole Collector and more, are the Top 10 publishers in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. A diversified and profitable media business with premium distribution partners such as Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, Roku, and iFlix. Complex Networks’ original content exemplifies convergence culture, exploring topics that span across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food.
Complex is looking to hire a Photo Editor to join the Design team. This ideal candidate should be comfortable with juggling multiple tasks while having the ability to prioritize responsibilities.This role is based in our New York office.
- Commission and produce all editorial features for Complex.com
- Work with editors and Associate Creative Director to select images for features on tight deadlines
- Research, pitch, and assign photographers in conjunction with Associate Creative Director. Conceptualize and present photo treatments.
- Handle all aspects of photo shoot production; sourcing locations, permitting, booking stylist/hair/makeup, executing contracts, creating call sheets, being on set, etc. This includes coordinating BTS for our video properties.
- Assist Associate Creative Director on larger produced shoots.
- Keep track of and manage creative budget with the Associate Creative Director-Responsible for submitting invoices and SOWs to accounting as well as correspondence with vendors and freelancers.
- Help manage the Staff Photographer to ensure deadlines are being met. Maintain proper communication with Creative leadership to make sure expectations are understood and concepts are achieved/carried out properly.
- Source images for design and editorial teams when needed
- Minimum 5 years experience in photography at an agency, editorial media or commercial level.
- Experience managing and tracking budgets
- Strong rolodex of freelance photographers, stylists, set designers
- Familiar with photo licensing do’s and don’ts
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop.
- Excellent time management skills, with a demonstrated ability to organize, set and implement priorities
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
Complex offers an awesome casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. And our benefits are pretty good as well, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous time off and a 401k match! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
About Complex Networks:
Complex Networks develops and distributes original programming for its channels and through output deals with premium distributors. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food, reaching the coveted 18-24-year-old male audience. In 2016, the company launched ComplexCon in Long Beach, California, to bring the “Internet to life.” The annual event attracts over 200 culture-shifting brands and over 60,000 digitally savvy attendees to the two-day cultural festival.