Media Education Associate – New York City DEPT OF PARKS & RECREATION – Manhattan, NY
Company: New York City DEPT OF PARKS & RECREATION
Location: Manhattan, NY
New York City DEPT OF PARKS & RECREATION
- NYC Parks’ Media Education Unit provides high-quality digital resources and creative learning opportunities for all. Our community education spaces are located within Recreation Centers across the five boroughs and are accessible with Recreation membership. Coordinators offer computer basics, digital media education and workforce development.
- Under general supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, coordinate the daily operations of an NYC Parks’ media lab.
- Plan, develop and conduct high-quality digital learning workshops and classes with a focus on multimedia, workforce development and academic enrichment. Provide solid digital learning opportunities for children, teenagers, adults and seniors, with an emphasis on computer literacy, community engagement and/or leisure activity.
- Leverage digital media tools to inspire Media Education students and media lab users to “create with purpose” and become active members of their communities and societies at large.
- Work with Media Education administration to sustain and develop partnerships with community-based organizations, as well as with nonprofit, education, arts, media and higher education networks to increase engagement.
- Attend staff development and provide leadership, training and expertise to other Media Education Coordinators, volunteers and interns.
- Build technology instructional resources based on expertise.
- Maintain and enforce media lab policies and procedures, including inventory tracking.
- Monitor and track center members and youth program participation and inventory.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
1. Bachelor’s degree in education, technology or a digital media-related field.
2. Experience working with children and teenagers in a technology classroom or afterschool setting.
3. Experience teaching adults and seniors in a technology classroom setting.
4. Background in curriculum development, with emphasis on digital/media literacy and connected learning.
5. Familiarity with the digital media community and dissemination methods.
6. Experience in graphic and web design, animation, visual arts and/or film or video production.
7. Proficiency in general and open source computer software including Apple OS, Microsoft Windows, Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office and other cloud-based platforms like Google Docs.
8. Ability to troubleshoot basic computer and software problems.
9. Excellent writing, administrative and interpersonal skills.
10. Flexible, collaborative and able to work effectively in and with diverse communities.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 429047. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 429047.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 429047 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 429047.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hire for all other candidates.