Lead Videographer – Skillshare – New York, NY
Location: New York, NY
Skillshare is looking for a Lead Videographer to join our video team. In this role, you’ll plan and capture engaging, documentary-style video to create Skillshare Originals, award-winning content that educates and inspires the Skillshare community.
You’ll be a true creative partner for your projects—crafting the look and feel of individual productions, collaborating with producers to capture compelling content on set, providing context to editors in post-production, and upholding a high production standard. We’ll look to you for your creative vision, quick problem solving, and technical expertise to ensure the smooth production and success of each class.
You’ll work on high-profile video projects in creative-driven topics like design, photography, writing, and entrepreneurship, always with the goal of creating top-tier content that drives impact for the business.
What you’ll do:
- Lead Shoots for Success: Direct 1-2 camera operators in addition to operating your own camera, act as technical expert on-set—including lighting the scene and recording audio—and collaborate with on-set producer to capture content effectively.
- Collaborate with Key Stakeholders: Collaborate with content producers to translate class vision to video, provide context to editors in post-production, and work with film production lead on shoot and gear logistics for each project.
- Be a Creative Leader for the Team: Lead the process for crafting the look and feel for individual projects, develop unique and innovative shot lists both in pre-production and during production, ideate ways to level-up our production value, and find new ways to capture Skillshare Originals.
Why we’re excited about you:
- Proven track record creating digital video content in a collaborative environment for a platform, network, agency, or brand. Experience working with high level talent a plus.
- You have a keen sense of great storytelling—you know how to translate a vision into a written video treatment and bring it life using strong leadership and decision making skills.
- Deep expertise across digital cinema videography, lighting (especially interview lighting) and rigging, and audio recording for video.
- Experience with post-production, Sony’s FS cameras, and Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Why you’re excited about us:
- Impact: You’ll be at the forefront of crafting compelling video content that impacts millions of users, worldwide.
- Growth: You’ll have the opportunity to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time.
- Our team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community whose mission is to connect curious, lifelong learners everywhere – and, in so doing, build a more creative, more generous, and more prosperous world. Today, our community has grown to millions of members who come to Skillshare to learn creative and entrepreneurial skills, network with peers, and even teach a class themselves. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.
Apply for this job