Intern, Visual Storyteller – Volunteer Engagement, NYC – American Red Cross in Greater New York – New York, NY
Company: American Red Cross in Greater New York
Location: New York, NY
American Red Cross in Greater New York
Summer 2020 Unpaid, Student Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an UNPAID internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship. If you’ve graduated, we cannot accept your application.
- Preferred Majors: Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Film/Video, Social Media Studies or Digital Communications
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior and Graduate level.
- Duration: Our unpaid Summer 2020 Internship Program typically runs for a specified 10-to-14-week duration beginning on Monday, June 1st and ending on Friday, August 7th. This is a part-time position, 20 + hour per week.
Mission Concept: “Communicate Our Mission”
This Mission Concept is for students who are practiced and persuasive public speakers, have strong writing skills, and are savvy about social media. You want to be part of communicating the Red Cross mission behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online.
Intern, Visual Storyteller – Volunteer Engagement, NYC: The Volunteer Services Department focuses on the recruitment, engagement, and recognition of our volunteer workforce.
This internship is focused on volunteer recognition and is for accomplished film students, videographers, and professional writers who are skilled in storytelling and want to build their portfolio by showcasing the Red Cross at work. Your projects may include:
- Capturing human interest stories, that focus on our mission, through a combination of written word, photography and/or videography.
- Creating complete video stories that tell compelling volunteer stories
- Curating interesting content for our volunteer newsletter.
- Developing storytelling strategies that would increase volunteer satisfaction and recognition.
- Special Skills Required: Strong writing skills, with experience writing, formatting, and posting clear content. Strong Photography/Videography skills with intermediate to advanced proficiency in Photoshop, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Pro strongly preferred.
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
- Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
Salary: $0.00 /hour
- One location
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- Monday to Friday