Humankind Producer/Editor – Gannett – New York, NY
Address: New York, NY
We’re looking for a natural-born video storyteller to join Humankind’s team of journalists to tell news stories about acts of kindness, out of the ordinary triumphs and special relationships. If you can turn on feels at the drop of a hat, through writing and video editing, we need you! We need someone with the patience and curiosity to spend hours tracking down news stories, facts, photos and videos, and then edit that content to create an amazing video about incredible people.
The ideal Humankind Digital Video Producer/Editor candidate is so excited about their content, that they wake up and immediately check stats, feedback, likes and reach. The ideal candidate is a team player with a journalism background, excellent communication skills, is quick to respond and receptive to feedback. You eat, breathe and sleep on social media platforms and are on the cutting edge of the latest changes to each platform. You know what makes a great story tick, and can make amazing content about amazing people through script writing and your Adobe editing skills.
The Humankind Producer/Editor will work closely with Humankind’s senior managers to find, write, produce and edit news stories that appeal to a social audience across the USA TODAY Network and on various syndication and social platforms. The Producer/Editor must show a history of news video writing and editing skills that work for a social-first audience. Whether it’s the elusive Facebook algorithm, an emerging platform like IGTV or YouTube Stories, the Producer/Editor is creating content that fits these social platforms in ways that expands the Humankind brands’ footprints.
This position will report from one of the USA TODAY bureaus in New York or Washington D.C.
Humankind is a good-news brand launched by USA TODAY, and includes Animalkind and Militarykind social video brands.
There’s enough bad news out there, join Humankind in telling the country’s most positive, uplifting stories.
- Find and research compelling good news stories from around the country, including THE USA TODAY NETWORK
- Write and produce articles and video scripts.
- Edit videos on programs including Adobe After Effects and Premiere.
- Organize, compile and edit footage shot by videographers at sister properties.
- Manage social media accounts: Upload, optimize, rights management, advertising, targeting, etc.
- Occasional travel to follow a story.
- MUST HAVE degree in journalism, communication, or equivalent newsroom experience. (Sorry, we are NOT looking for film experience.)
- Five or more years of digital video production experience.
- Five or more years of editorial experience (must have article writing, video package producing, and video script writing experience in news media).
- Excellent communications skills, online and in person, with the community and fellow journalists.
- Works collaboratively with a passionate and highly motivated team of videographers, reporters, editors and producers.
- Experience using After Effects, Adobe Premiere and Adobe Photoshop.
- Working knowledge of a variety of social media platforms, including YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat, with an eagerness to master them.
- Must be local to USA TODAY bureaus in New York or Washington D.C.
How To Apply
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. Use a cover letter to tell us why THIS IS THE JOB FOR YOU. If you do not provide a cover letter, your application will not be considered. This is your chance to tell us about yourself and stand out from the rest. Be sure to provide links to your work to SHOW us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single PDF document file that includes the following, in this order:
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- Links to online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do at Humankind.
It is important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration. #Content
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.