Head of Production – Vox Media – New York, NY
Company: Vox Media
Location: New York, NY
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What’s Vox Creative?
Vox Creative is Vox Media’s center of strategic and creative excellence. We’re a team of strategists, writers, designers, directors, and makers who tell powerful stories for brands. In a digital landscape consumed by clicks and low calorie content, we help brands go deeper. Using the same insights, tools and storytelling expertise that power our editorial brands, we create memorable, deeply engaging and award-winning content & experiences for our clients. Vox Creative houses a number of specialty teams and services including The Explainer Studio (helping brands demystify the most fascinating and complex topics of our time), Epic Stories (investigative journalism for brands), and IQ (helping brands achieve a net-positive impact on the world).
Vox Creative was awarded Digiday’s Content Studio of the Year and Best Content Program awards in 2019.
We are seeking a high functioning, results-driven individual to lead all branded content production as Vox Creative’s Head of Production. This person must demonstrate an ability to grow and scale a team’s capabilities while overseeing a sizable budget, ensuring best in class creative output and leading a team with conviction and compassion. The ideal candidate has 10-12 years experience (including several as a people manager), a background in managing a roster of partners/vendors and collaborating with clients, and a track record for scaling high-quality video production.
This is a perfect fit for an individual who is entrepreneurial, ambitious, passionate, and thrives on the growth and changes that come with leading a fast-growing content studio in a fast-paced media environment. Vox Creative produces hundreds of pieces of content per year for nearly 100 clients, ranging from the social and snackable to the immersive and long-form. Our content is distributed across multiple platforms and all thirteen of Vox Media’s networks. With that in mind, this role demands curiosity, flexibility, and in-depth knowledge of new and emerging media platforms.
This position reports into the SVP of Content and will oversee a team of roughly ten people spanning pre-production, production, post-production and audience development.
What you’ll do:
- The Head of Production is a key leadership role and integral to the success of the studio. This role has oversight and accountability for all creative output.
- Work cross-functionally with finance, sales, strategy, legal, analytics, product, experiential, production and post teams to see through the full life cycle of campaigns
- Provide visibility into industry trends and the digital content landscape to ensure our capabilities and the work are competitive and best-in-class
- Build and evolve systems for efficient content production at scale
- Manage the annual production budget for all custom content production. Allocate budgets per project in line with company guidelines in a way that balances profitability, quality, and value to the client
- Help shape the budgeting and fiscal policies of the content practice to ensure we’re investing to grow in the right areas
- Share accountability with SVP and other team leads for building a dynamic, curious, diverse and thriving creative culture
- Inform the positioning and GTM strategy of Vox Creative’s capabilities and production services such that we continue to drive demand and growth for our most differentiated offerings
- Partner with Vox Creative leadership to identify repeatable formats and franchises that can scale into new, popular content product lines and services
- Build capabilities and best practices that can help fuel growing businesses like branded entertainment and audio / podcasts
- Partner closely with Editorial and Vox Media Studios teams to exchange goals and best practices
- Develop partnerships with leading production companies, talent agencies and vendors
- Manage a team comprised of Line Producers and Production Managers across video, editorial and audio platforms; closely advise all Creative Producers; support team performance and career growth
- Allocate budgets per project & ensure all stay on time and on schedule
- Partner with the Strategy and Creative teams to ensure viability of creative proposals and provide recommendations for creative optimization, talent, treatment, technique, etc.
- Partner with Executive Creative Director to ensure creative vision is being met and executed at the highest level of quality within the scoped budget and timeline
- Improve and maintain centralized resources to support physical production: database of freelancers, crew, production vendors, directors, talent, etc.
- Attend client presentations and shoots as needed; be a voice of authority and partnership when collaborating with clients
- Operationalize a freelancer payroll system
- Manage a Post Supervisor and team of in-house editors, designers and animators
- Plan and advocate for resources, infrastructure, and space as needed
- Work with the Media, Production and Tech teams to consistently optimitize post-production infrastructure
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum 8-10 years experience at media companies, production companies and/or creative advertising agencies
- Excellent partnership skills, experience working with brands in some capacity
- Experience managing large budgets and making strategic investment decisions
- Ability to balance big-picture vision with day-to-day project management
- A love of the craft and a willingness to get deep into the work
- A portfolio of film and/or digital video complete with a range of storytelling formats
- Ability to thrive in a very fun, inclusive, balanced but incredibly fast-paced environment, juggling multiple, diverse projects on overlapping deadlines concurrently
- Proven track record of digital production experience that involves overseeing multiple multi-platform programs
- Demonstrated experience running a broad range of campaigns, from turnkey formats to large-scale productions and activations for global brands
- Experience scoping projects, as well as composing production models, schedules, staffing, and budgets
- A natural ability to motivate and guide internal teams, while remaining confident and calm
- Must wear many hats and is a whole-brain thinker as the work spans pre-sale content vetting and pricing, through full execution of campaigns in a timely and cost-efficient manner
- Proven leadership skills and experience building diverse, high-performing teams of passionate, engaged makers
- Familiarity with Vox Media and the digital media landscape
- Experience in docu-style film and/or podcasting preferred
- Familiarity with technical applications and media asset management systems
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.