Filmmaking Intern (Manhattan) – Writopia Lab – New York, NY
Company: Writopia Lab
Location: New York, NY
Do you love kids? Are you excited by the idea of helping children create short films? Writopia Lab, an award-winning 501(C)(3) nonprofit that runs the country’s best creative writing workshops for kids ages 6 to 18, is looking for interns for our Upper West Side Location.
Since its formation in New York City in 2007, Writopia Lab has grown into a nationwide community of young writers. Our mission is to foster joy, literacy, and critical thinking in children and teens from all backgrounds through creative writing. We create a safe and engaging space for writers at all stages of the writing process, and we aim to provide the creative inspiration, individual attention, and intellectual environment that may not be available to them at school.
What Interns Do
Our interns are half teaching assistants, half camp counselors, who are able to serve as role models to our young writers while cultivating their love for writing and confidence. Filmmaking interns help with every step of the production process; interns will assist with guiding students through screenwriting and visual storytelling, supervise shoots, and provide editing support for films written and produced by our talented young filmmakers, ages 6 to 18.
- We need interns who find it easy to be supportive and enthusiastic about young writers’ writing and films and can assist with film editing projects.
- Basic film editing skills (including experience with Final Cut Pro and/or Premiere Pro) are required. Experience with green screen workflows a plus.
- Completed degrees are NOT required to apply for these internships, and we will accept applicants with majors or minors–or a strong background–in Film.
- Internships start in June and end in mid-August, and all interns are required to commit through the end of the summer.
- This is a paid position. Interns always work 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM Monday through Friday, with the possibility of additional morning hours based on availability and program need.
How to Apply
If you are excited by the idea of joining a community of writers and helping children and teens learn to write, please apply through this short form. (Don’t forget to attach your resume, cover letter, and answer the question “Why do you want to work at Writopia?”)
Application Deadline: March 21st, 2020
To find out more information regarding who we are and what we do here at Writopia, please visit our website at www.writopialab.org
Writopia Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Writopia Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or on any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.