Executive Producer – Pattern – Weather Group Television LLC – New York, NY
Company: Weather Group Television LLC
Address: New York, NY
Weather Group Television LLC
Working at The Weather Channel television network
We are Pattern. We are journalists, designers, scientists, and meteorologists. We are storytellers. We tell the stories behind the most fascinating weather and science phenomenon around the world…and beyond it. We tell you how our world works honestly and clearly so we can collective understand it and improve it.
Pattern is the provocative new brand from The Weather Channel television network focused on the intersection of climate, weather, science, technology, and culture. Our mission – as we grow rapidly – is to educate and fascinate through diverse and ambitious weather and science storytelling, both live from the field and in the studio. Pattern’s storytelling informs to evoke emotion, ignite conversation, and ultimately inspire action. Pattern combines the grit and agility of a start-up, with the support and resources of an established media company – The Weather Channel, which is the most trusted TV News Brand for 8 years in a row (and counting).
Pattern covers the most innovative developments in science, technology, and culture as well as the coolest, most beautiful places on earth – all from a unique weather lens. From live coverage of hurricanes, flash floods, tornadoes, and blizzards to production of immersive mixed reality experiences – join us as we explain what’s happening in the world, how we got here, and what it means for our future.
We are a small, scrappy team of globetrotting reporters, science geeks, creative design wizards, indie editors, and digital deal makers with the small and modest goal of changing the world. We embrace those who are passionate, view the world differently, and boldly challenge the status quo. We take great pride in the work we do and the smart, talented people who bring Pattern to life. Join us.
If you are an experienced, digitally-minded Executive Producer and would like to be on the forefront of this exciting opportunity, we would like to hear from you.
The Executive Producer for Pattern helps set and drive the execution of the Pattern editorial voice and strategy. The EP will oversee day-to-day story and science research, content development, management and publishing across various channels including websites, apps, and social media. This is accomplished through the training and management of a team of writer producers, designers, craft editors, social producers, and hosts who create content for Pattern.
The role will set the visual storytelling for the network in an unfettered, creative-forward environment, covering live and studio production and be across TV, mobile, and desktop environments.
The Executive Producer works in a collaborative agile environment with producers, designers, writers, talent, and editors to create industry-advancing content, with executives to understand business strategy, and with senior leaders from editorial and marketing to capture the other elements of creative expression. This position also works with audience analytics, testing content ideas and assumptions, and incorporating performance feedback to help deliver a best-in-class media experience.
This role requires a keen eye and brain for strategy, storytelling and craftsmanship in all media spaces, but with a passion for content, digital and social. The ideal candidate possesses a strong interest in innovation and technology, and an enthusiasm for whatever comes next.
This position can be located in either New York or Atlanta.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team of ambitious producers, writers, and editors within a fast-paced newsroom and translate recent, relevant developments in weather science, climate news, technology, and culture into highly-engaging, best-in-class video content
- Guide creation of video, photo, graphic and streaming storm coverage and science/weather explainers content amongst the digital team, and interface with other departments to further coordinate asset creation
- Contribute directly to Pattern topic research to drive editorial/design calendars and subject coverage
- Apply SEO practices to improve overall content discovery and visibility
- Oversee the team during severe weather (in collaboration with The Weather Channel linear partners) and breaking news coverage
- Work closely with on-air talent; including on-air presentation, scripting and field production
- Act as liaison with other Weather Group managers and departments; including The Weather Channel Assignment Desk and Digital Teams
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
- 7-10 years media experience playing an integral role in the planning, development, production, and execution of video-based content for digital, cable, or broadcast network television
- Background in science communication and/or science writing is preferred
- College degree in Science-related field, Journalism or Communications required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with production, post-production and on-air talent
- Ability to work closely and effectively with various other departments, including Strategic Insights, Product, Ad Sales, Distribution, Marketing, PR, Strategic Insights, Business Development, and Legal
- Able to manage the repurposing and/or reversioning of various content
- Desire to achieve, flexibility and willingness to work the hours necessary to get the job done in a 24×7 environment
- Experience in science-related writing, video editing, motion graphics, and sound design
- Experience producing content for digital, social, and traditional media platforms
- Experience using newsroom management systems and content management systems
- Familiarity with a suite of software that includes the Adobe Premier Pro, Dalet newsroom management system, web content management system, and computer-based video encoding and image capture applications
- Knowledgeable in developing and producing rich content/diverse programming for multiple platforms aimed at broadening the networks (on-air, broadband, et al.) demographic appeal
- Portfolio of award-winning creative work that demonstrates mastery in concept strategy and execution
- Story-driven writing/producing that communicates complex topics simply and creatively
- Strong knowledge of current events, including pop culture, science, and technology news
The Weather Group LLC does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from Weather Group Human Resources. Weather Group LLC is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Weather Group LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary. Any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way. If you choose to complete this form, please follow the link below, complete the form and return to [email protected], which is a confidential e-mail in box.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that Weather Group will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
Weather Group operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours worked by Weather Group associates will vary according to job responsibility and scheduling demands of each department.
Please Note: Human Resources does NOT provide application status updates via the telephone. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent via e-mail once the application has been successfully submitted.