Director of Events – The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation – New York, NY
Company: The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Location: New York, NY
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Foundation Benefits: A Summary
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation benefits program is intended to offer employees multiple choices in high-quality benefit plans, comprehensive core benefits, and the flexibility to choose optional benefits. The Foundation seeks to provide employees with the benefits that best fit their needs and the needs of their families. Current benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions, as well as the opportunity for employee tax-advantaged savings
- Comprehensive insurance coverage, including medical, dental, and vision (also covering domestic partners), life and accidental death, and disability
- General time-off benefits including holiday, vacation, personal, and sick days
- Employee assistance and referral programs
- Tuition reimbursement for employees
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”), a not-for-profit organization that makes grants in three core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; and scholarly communications) seeks a Director of Events. This position reports to the Program Advisor and Chief of Staff (“PACOS”) in the Office of the President.
The Director of Events is responsible for directing and overseeing the development and execution of all internally- and externally-facing Foundation events, which may include meetings, film screenings, panel (or other) discussions, conferences, symposia, seminars, Board meetings, retreats, celebrations, and convenings, both at the Foundation’s offices and at off-site locations. Under the supervision of the PACOS, the Director shapes relevant policies; facilitates event-related communication across the Foundation; supervises event planning and production; and ensures the success of event operations (including budgeting, logistics, etc.). The Director of Events partners closely with the Foundation’s communications, finance, facilities, and legal teams and supervises the Foundation’s event planning team of two professionals.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Supervise the management, planning, and operations all Foundation events, including by overseeing the creation and management of event budgets, logistic work plans, runs of show, etc.
- In partnership with PACOS, others in the Office of the President, Communications, and others, participate in determination of event strategy and schedule.
- Ensure flawless execution of Foundation events by coordinating with Foundation staff and external consultants so that deliverables, deadlines, and budgets are appropriate and are met.
- Create processes relating to event budgeting, scheduling, planning, execution, and reporting.
- Facilitate communication with other Foundation offices—including Finance, the Office of the General Counsel and Secretary (who is also the COO), and Communications—regarding event operations, budgets, and planning.
- Ensure smooth, full, and professional communication with staff regarding events.
Oversee all aspects of event planners’ work, including, but not limited to:
- creation of projected and actual event budgets;
- sourcing of locations and venues, conduct of site visits and selection of event venues;
- negotiation of vendor contracts;
- creation of event timelines, task lists, and runs of show;
- development and coordination of on-site activities (e.g., room layout, décor, speakers, and A/V); and
- planning of all event logistics including participant registration, menu selections, coordination of on-site transportation, and all other on-site arrangements.
- Oversee the development, production and distribution of event materials.
- As needed, send and track correspondence with speakers and sponsors/exhibitors.
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation staff and external partners, stakeholders, and participants.
- Contribute to the maintenance of a collegial work environment at the Foundation.
The ideal candidate would hold a bachelor’s degree, preferably in the humanities or equivalent, and at least one of the CSEP or MPI certifications.
Required qualifications include:
- At least 10 years’ experience in event oversight, planning, budgeting, and other aspects of operations.
- Experience supervising a team, collaborating with internal clients, and managing vendor and other external relationships.
- Proven project management skills, including the creation of work plans and timelines.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision and juggle multiple projects with different timelines, while being a committed team player.
- Deft interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence.
- Careful attention to detail and the ability to listen openly and actively.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Facility with creating, reading, and understanding organizational and project budgets.
- Ability to assimilate a high volume of detailed information quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work with a diverse constituency and on multiple tasks, at times under deadline pressure.
- Experience in managing projects through time sensitive deadlines (or “crunch” times) in a productive and professional manner, with a positive attitude.
- Problem-solving, can-do orientation.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (particularly Excel, Word, Power Point) and the Google suite of applications. Planning Pod, Sharepoint, and Fluxx experience a plus but not required.
- Integrity, intelligence, discretion, flexibility and sense of humor.
- Understanding of and commitment to the goals of the Foundation.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume to: Director of Events. We will consider each response carefully, but contact only those individuals we feel are most qualified for the position.