Deputy Editor, Lifehacker – G/O Media – New York, NY
Company: G/O Media
Location: New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is currently looking for a Deputy Editor to help lead and grow Lifehacker, the go-to site on the internet for tips and tools for productive, stress-free living in the digital age. The ideal candidate is a strong editor with a unique editorial voice and extensive editing, writing, and managerial experience. They must have a deep knowledge of and appreciation for technology, as well as familiarity with personal finance, health, and science. A generous helping of common sense and good BS detection skills are a must. Versatility with video and a wealth of ideas on its application to Lifehacker’s model is essential—as is the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond nimbly to cultural and news events with appropriate Lifehacker stories.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- have experience managing writers
- be comfortable overseeing a growing staff in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories
- respond nimbly to cultural and news events, unpacking them to find the Lifehacker service angle
- have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced digital news outlet with a diverse audience
- know how to motivate a team
- assist the editor-in-chief in thinking big-picture about the site’s vision, and help execute said vision across multiple platforms
- be organized and detail-oriented
- be ambitious about the brand’s growth potential in both output and audience
- Strong leadership skills, with at least three years’ experience managing a team in a fast-paced, deadline-driven digital environment
- Experience in video, podcasts and other platforms the brand can expand into
- First-rate editorial judgment and editorial skills
- Ability to generate original ideas for creative and engaging content
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage, motivate, and mentor a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- Strong collaborative skills, including experience liaising with stakeholders across the company
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
The role is based in New York City and reports to the Editor-in-Chief, Lifehacker.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.