Audio Visual Technician – The New York Public Library – Manhattan, NY
Company: The New York Public Library
Location: Manhattan, NY
The New York Public Library
Part-time Audio-Visual Technicians for Public Programs report to the Production Manager and are responsible for set-up, operation, and breakdown of audio-video equipment for events hosted by The New York Public Library; including, but not limited to: sound systems, professional video cameras, large-format video monitors, and projectors (film and digital). Audio-Visual Technicians are part-time, hourly, and will be scheduled as needed.
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Audio Visual Technician will:
- Advanced level operation of audio mixers; both digital and analog.
- Multi-track audio recording.
- Video recording and editing.
- Basic operation of professional video cameras and video switchers.
- Basic operation of projectors and TV monitors.
- General live production audio and video set-ups and strikes, including the handling of cable, loud speakers, microphones, projectors, lighting etc.
- General production multi-tasking. Small scale operation of basic lighting, audio, and video equipment on your own without support from other technicians.
- Assisting non-technical library colleagues with A/V requests.
Required Education & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of live audio experience required. E.g. A1 or A2 experience
- Minimum of 3 years with basic live video production experience required: E.g. Camera Op.
- Solid understanding of audio and video signal flow.
- Ability to troubleshoot audio-visual equipment.
- Ability to work with PowerPoint and Keynote and google suites.
- Competence in Adobe Suites: Premiere and Audition.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to follow instructions as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be proactive, and handle pressure in high-profile settings.
- Some knowledge of stage lighting and uplighting
- Confidently operate digital and analog audio mixers
- Communicating efficiently with to non-technical staff members or library guests about technical issues.
- Assisted listening device operations and troubleshooting
- Experience with live streaming equipment and software.
- Experience with live music audio production.
- Experience with staging and lighting
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Office setting
- Public library setting
- Events, programs, and meetings
- Lifting up to 40 lbs. Required
- May require travel within NYC
Approximately 10 hours per week. Schedule will vary as needed
Union / Non Union