Audio Engineer, Recode News Podcast – Vox Media – New York, NY
Company: Vox Media
Location: New York, NY
Vox Media is the leading independent modern media company. Known for building the best media brands and the technology that enables them, we are committed to building a better future for the industry — and getting the future of media right. Vox Media’s editorial networks include Vox, The Verge, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Recode, and Curbed. Our diverse storytelling and advertising businesses include the Concert publisher-led marketplace, the Vox Creative brand studio, the Chorus publishing platform, and the company’s entertainment division Vox Media Studios, which includes the Vox Media Podcast Network and Epic.
Recode is launching a first-of-its kind, thrice-weekly podcast to explain the most important tech news of the week. Grounded in Recode’s personality and authority, the show will deliver in-depth stories on how technology is changing everything. We simply can no longer escape the future hurtling toward us, which is why understanding the technologies shaping our lives — and the companies creating and profiting off them — is fundamental to understanding the world we live in and the way we live in it.
Our audio engineer will be responsible for delivering shows and stories of the highest audio quality to our listeners: overseeing recording sessions, tape cleanup and editing, mixing and mastering.
If you’re the right person for the role, you have considerable experience working with a variety of audio formats. You can quickly and expertly edit two-way conversations, or mix more complex segments with clips, narration, field tape, ambi and music. You have hands-on experience with narrative storytelling productions: you’re well-versed in using sound design and music to elevate a story, and can work with production teams to identify and integrate the best quality tape.
You can work under deadline pressure without compromising high production standards. You are a detail-oriented person who can confidently deliver a polished final mix. We use ProTools, but proficiency with a variety of recording and mixing technologies is preferred for this role. You should know how to mix to a loudness that meets industry standards, and have experience with audio tools ranging from microphones and portable recorders to plug-ins for EQ, compression, de-noising, etc.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
This is a full-time position based in New York.
What you’ll do:
- Facilitate recordings of Vox podcasts
- Cut and master two-ways and panel conversations of our upcoming new tech news show
- Assist producers in obtaining field tape/ambi
- Deliver high-quality multi-track mixes
- Assist in booking studio sessions
- Upload and publish selected Vox podcasts
- Perform associated administrative duties as needed
- Find and edit clips from audio soundbite services as needed
What you’ll bring:
- At least 5 years experience working as an engineer in a variety of podcast/broadcast formats
- Command of studio and post-production tasks including recording, tape editing, sound design and mixing/mastering
- Demonstrated skills in editing narrative audio productions or film/TV documentary sound mixing
- Fluency working in ProTools
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment and remain composed and productive under deadline pressure
- Ability to take direction and work independently within a collaborative, team environment
- Incredible attention to detail
- Familiarity with control rooms and digital consoles, specifically Yamaha boards
- Experience with live show recording a plus
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.