Associate Creative Director, First We Feast – Complex – New York, NY
Location: New York, NY
Complex Networks formed from the acquisition of Complex Media Inc. through a joint venture by Verizon and Hearst. Today, it is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture. Complex Networks’ digital channels, which include Complex News, First We Feast, Pigeons & Planes, Sole Collector and more, are the Top 10 publishers in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. A diversified and profitable media business with premium distribution partners such as Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, Roku, and iFlix. Complex Networks’ original content exemplifies convergence culture, exploring topics that span across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food.
The Branded Content team concepts, develops and pitches ideas for our brand partners, driving their vision through production, post-production, distribution, and activation. The team leverages the power and authenticity of COMPLEX’s voice to create award-winning programs for clients that are forward-thinking and culturally relevant.
COMPLEX is looking for an Associate Creative Director to join the Branded Content department. This position will focus solely on our First We Feast brand and will report into the Creative Director. This role will equally focus on two areas: Strategy and Creative Development. Combining strategy and creative development is crucial to creating a cohesive program.
- THE STRATEGY: Creative briefs range from budget size, objectives to specificity. A key part of your role will be to partner with the Sales team to understand the brief correctly. You will work on creative concepts; collaborating with the Strategy, Production, Experiential, Product, Social, and the Editorial team/s to craft the the best content experience.
- THE CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT: You are responsible for building the presentation.You will use your skills and knowledge of the client to create a presentation that brings the program to life and captures the client’s attention.
- Work directly with the Creative Director to create and package content experiences in which the sales team can sell through to clients.
- Partner with the Strategy team on proactive pitches and when an RFP (Request for Proposal) is received through the Pre-Sale process.
- Collaborate with the strategy and the sales team to ensure the idea puts COMPLEX in the strongest position to win the business
- Ideate with the design team to develop art direction and visual identities
- Work closely with production to make sure they understand how each idea will be brought to life and the cost implications of each creative decision
- Work with the Post-Sale and Production teams when an advertiser submits an IO (Insertion Order) to execute the overall vision for the campaign.
- Develop original creative concepts that deliver on brand and on brief, from conception to final delivery
- Develop unique, culturally relevant ideas for video, editorial, social, experiential activations and more.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of your submissions
- Presentation deck development
- Presenting your ideas clearly to internal and external partners
- Staying ahead of trends
- Create a positive, collaborative, supportive culture by being solution-oriented, and encouraging accountability and respect
- Work in tandem with peers within the Branded Partnership Studios department to create cohesive structure and process
- At least 5+ years experience spanning editorial, design, agency, film, events, publishing, client and branded content
- A portfolio with demonstrated examples working across multiple channels & strong art direction and/or design
- Someone who understands COMPLEX’s tone and voice and is familiar with First We Feast content and audience
- A solid understanding of the creative process to deliver projects on time and budget while answering the client brief
- Work collaboratively, effectively and respectfully with all internal and external clients
- Ability to take initiative, own projects and demonstrate good judgment when working with team members and client contacts
- Experience managing day-to-day changes at every level of detail
- Strong long & short copy and scriptwriting ability
- Strong understanding and experience in the production process (pre/production/post) and experience working closely with directors, producers, designers, art directors and more
- A history working with brands and leading teams to create successful, culturally relevant content
- Deep knowledge and interest in digital media, social media, content & technology
- Strong grasp of brand strategy
- Good presentation skills
- Comfortable pitching new business
- Creative Suite, Office, PPT and Keynote capabilities
- Knowledge of Adobe, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro are a plus
- A sense of humor
WHO YOU ARE:
- Think outside the box – you know that a deck isn’t always the best way to tell a product’s story
- You operate well in ambiguity – you thrive in changing environments
- You love to collaborate – you work well across teams and functions
- You are solutions-oriented – you face a challenge and see solutions, not just problems
- You are a foodie!
***You MUST submit a link to your portfolio to be considered.
Complex Networks offers an awesome casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. And our benefits are pretty good as well, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous time off and a 401k match! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
Complex Networks develops and distributes original programming for its channels and through output deals with premium distributors. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food, reaching the coveted 18-24-year-old male audience. In 2016, the company launched ComplexCon in Long Beach, California, to bring the “Internet to life.” The annual event attracts over 200 culture-shifting brands and over 60,000 digitally savvy attendees to the two-day cultural festival.