MMJ/Reporter/Fill-in Anchor – KTVE NBC 10/KARD FOX 14 in West Monroe, Louisiana
Company: Nexstar Broadcasting
Location: West Monroe, LA
KTVE NBC 10/KARD FOX 14 in West Monroe, Louisiana is looking for an MMJ/Reporter/Fill-in Anchor. We are looking for a person who is passionate about quality Journalism and Visual Storytelling. We want you to use words and images to tell the stories of Northeast Louisiana. While previous newsroom experience is desired, but individuals with only college level knowledge of Journalism are welcome to apply.
The candidate we are looking for needs a strong on-air presence, solid writing/reporting skills, and a love for social media. A college degree in Journalism or in another similar field is necessary. You will have to be able to shoot, write, and edit on your own, be able to carry a camera, tripod, and other essential newsgathering equipment. Previous MMJ experience is a plus. This position reports to the News Director.
We are a small but determined newsroom, looking to create journalistic excellence in Northeast Louisiana. As part of the Nexstar family, there is plenty of room to grow from the Monroe market and into other markets within the company.
Resumes must have a link to your resume reel . Resumes without a link to your reel will NOT be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events.
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories.
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
- Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community.
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas.
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions.
- Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements.
- Shoots and edits news events and news reports.
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms, both on-air and on the web.
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad-lib when required.
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines, and other office equipment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Multimedia Journalist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the candidate for this job must be able to lift, set up, and operate equipment weighing up to 35 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!