Vice President, Infrastructure and Services – NBCUniversal – Englewood Cliffs, NJ
Location: Englewood Cliffs, NJ
NBC Universal has an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to become the Vice President of Infrastructure and Services for NBCU Operations and Technology (O&T) based in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. O&T supports Enterprise Technology, Broadcast, and Production systems across NBCU globally.
The Vice President of Infrastructure and Services will manage technology strategy, process methodology, architecture, day to day operations and platform support, long range initiatives planning, collaboration with cross-functional business leaders and partners, and management of a dynamic team providing “best in class” support for NBCU. This position will have direct management of Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Dry Creek, CO, and Universal City, CA teams supporting NBCU globally. The teams consist of infrastructure management for compute and storage, database and middleware, monitoring and data protection, across NBCU.
- Focus on building a strong engineering team, with a healthy mix of managerial support, architects, strategy, and innovative engineering teams
- Provide regular employee feedback and performance reviews
- Develop partnerships across engineering teams with cross-facility support and engagement
- Manage the operational and capital budget for your team and clients.
Automation and Agile Methodology
- Manage rigorous process and control of all infrastructure planning, build, and deployment, using agile methodology concepts
- Continuous daily stand-ups sessions, bi-weekly sprint grooming sessions, and quarterly roadmap planning
- Manage tracking tools such as JIRA Kanban boards to track progress and overall requests
- Manage resources to build and deploy using infrastructure as code automation
- Heavy focus on all infrastructure teams to automate infrastructure using technologies such as terraform templates, cloud formation templates, ansible, puppet, and chef
Capital Projects and Strategy
- Collaborate with O&T leadership and operational clients to develop both short and long range strategic technology planning
- Balance local project initiative needs with O&T-driven enterprise initiatives and endeavor to align strategies and develop synergies across all NBCU locations
- Present and defend capital budget plans to senior leadership
- Develop conceptual designs and technology architecture vision, assign project work to team members with clear direction
- Manage on-going projects, including budgets, timelines, design and integration, application commissioning and training. Maintain application documentation
- Engage as needed with projects at other NBCU sites in NY/NJ, LA, Denver, Miami, and International sites
- Work closely with operations teams, clients and executive management both formally and informally
- Track timelines, manage priorities and schedules, and set client expectations
- Take a responsible leadership role for all projects and act as the main client interface
- Capture technical requirements, provide solutions and ensure resources are available to hit required timelines.
Monitoring and Security
- Collaborate closely with the NBCU cyber security team to build repeatable systems with security best practices
- Heavy focus on standard security logging and reporting of all systems
- Build out of enterprise-wide monitoring systems with automated alerting and dashboarding interfaces for easy troubleshooting
Supported Infrastructure Environments
Key technologies used:
- VMWare, AWS Console, Azure Console
- Docker, Kubernetes, Istio
- Cisco blade farms and server compute, Dell server compute, HP server compute
- 3rd Party Hardware (Media specific broadcast vendors hardware)
- Pure Storage
- DDN, Dell Isilon, Hitachi Flash, Cisco C3260, Netapp
- Cloudian Object Storage
- Quantum Stornext
- EcoDigital Asset Management (LTO Management), Masstech Asset Management (LTO Management)
- IBM, SpectraLogic, Quantum LTO tape cabinets
- OracleDB, MariaDB, SQL, AWS Aurora, AWS RDS
- Jira, Slack, Teraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, AWS Cloud Formation Templates
- Nagios OP5 Enterprise, DataDog, Splunk
- Collaboration and Technical Communication
oStrong customer service skills and unfailing professionalism
oPartner closely and collaborate enthusiastically with both clients at the local facilities and peers across O&T
oDemonstrate impeccable written and verbal communication and presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven Leadership Skills
oProvide clear, decisive direction. Don’t be afraid to make decisions, but be prepared to pivot or change course when appropriate
oBe a leader that your team is excited to follow, both through regular and planned activities, but also when plans change unexpectedly due to outside influence
oDemonstrate a high tolerance for stress, work well with others and provide a supportive attitude for all colleagues.
- Technology Expertise and Ownership
oDemonstrate a high level of expertise with a broad range of technologies
oGrow with the industry, adapting to new technologies as they develop
oDemonstrate a dedication to building and maintaining a stable, high-performance technical environment
oEmbrace your role as the ultimate responsible party and senior subject matter expert for technology.
- 7+ years of recent experience with infrastructure management experience
- 5+ years of management experience, including performance evaluation, hiring and disciplinary action
- Must be willing to work evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays with little or/no notice depending on production schedules
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.