Climate Central is seeking a creative, detail-oriented junior/mid-level staffer to serve as website producer, social media lead, and email campaign manager to support our communication of climate science, impacts and solutions. The position requires prior experience in web production, social media management, database management, email marketing, and performance metrics reporting. Top candidates will have a demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines, proactively solve problems and generate new ideas.
Climate Central is a respected non-advocacy, non-profit organization that works to reach large and significant audiences using a wide variety of tools. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides local TV meteorologists with data and TV-ready graphics about climate/ weather linkages for their use on-air and via social media; the program recently expanded to include local journalists and news directors through the Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Climate Central’s work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on U.S. coasts, and pioneering a new generation of online tools.
Climate Central’s highly interdisciplinary work is conducted by a team whose backgrounds include natural and social sciences, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production and other fields.
- Post new content developed by program staff on our multiple existing sites, using typical CMS/hosting platforms, occasionally in HTML/CSS
- Assist in upcoming processes to (re)design and (re)launch existing and future sites
- Monitor and traffic inquiries and site feedback
Social Media Management:
- Under guidance of program staff, develop and post Climate Central-originated and other content as basis for multiple daily postings to engage our 100,000+ Twitter followers and 150,000+ Facebook followers, as well as audiences on other platforms
- Conceptualize and work with designer to occasionally develop novel graphics, animations, and videos for posting
- Monitor audience interaction and manage response/escalation under direction of program staff
- Analyze and report on social media metrics; advise program leaders on best-performing content and tactics
Email Campaigns Management:
- Work with our Climate Matters team to distribute camera-ready graphics to our 2000+ participating broadcast meteorologists and journalists
- Oversee additional email and integrated social media campaigns from conception to delivery
- Manage multiple subscriber lists and ensure consistency with master databases
- Contribute to marketing strategy employed in email and social media campaigns to increase engagement with content and increase subscribers
- Develop responsive emails—often containing dynamic content—within typical ESP platform, occasionally using HTML and CSS
- Improve upon current email templates within published guidelines and ensure consistent branding across multiple email campaigns
- Conduct A/B testing to enhance email campaigns
- Regularly track, report, and review performance metrics across web, email, conventional and social media to identify trends and areas of improvement
- Stay current with latest design and development trends
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years of experience with direct responsibility for digital content management
- Well-versed in email campaign production and administration, including mobile responsive coding, dynamic content management, database and list management, and familiarity with data hygiene, privacy, and deliverability best practices
- Social media expertise as page manager/editor/admin across all major platforms, with strong knowledge of audience development and engagement tactics, and standard performance metrics; ideal candidate will have experience using social monitoring and measurement platforms to track and report on KPIs
- Knowledge of digital marketing strategies, focus on email/social media channels a plus
- Understanding of media monitoring and measurement, using common platform (i.e., Cision, Meltwater News, Muck Rack)
- Ability to successfully manage a range of activities across different programs
- Experience in debugging cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility issues
- Strong eye for opportunities to automate, and abilities needed for implementation
- General proficiency in Photoshop; additional Adobe design programs a plus
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, deadline driven
- Familiarity with climate issues is a distinct plus
- A highly collegial attitude is essential, and a sense of humor is a plus
This position is located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, N.J. We are willing to consider telework arrangements.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; a writing sample of no more than 500 words (may be an excerpt of a longer document) that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself; link(s) to any relevant online identity (e.g. LinkedIn), and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to [email protected] with the exact subject line, “Digital Content Manager” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually.