Video Operations Associate (Technician Assistant) – CBS – Burbank, CA
Location: Burbank, CA
CBS BUSINESS UNIT: CBS Interactive
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Staff
JOB LOCATION: Burbank, CA
CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS, is the world’s largest publisher of premium digital content and a perennial top 10 Internet company. CBS Interactive’s brands span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
Properties include the websites, apps and streaming services of the CBS Television Network such as the CBS All Access subscription service, CBS News Digital platforms including the 24/7 digital news network CBSN, and CBS Sports Digital brands including the 24-hour streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ, as well as digital-first properties in key content verticals, including CNET, ZDNet, TVGuide.com, GameSpot, Last.fm, Metacritic and Chowhound.
Follow CBS Interactive on Twitter and Facebook.
Our content teams are responsible for developing and producing compelling stories—as told through video, editorial, and social platforms—that promote programming for both CBS and CBS All Access. Regardless of the medium, our team also optimizes the best of CBSi’s content to drive fan acquisition, engagement, and retention by leveraging data analytics, analyzing the competitive landscape, and recognizing opportunities for innovation in this always-on world.
The Video Ops Associate will aid in daily prep, technical operations, maintenance and support of on location video shoots as well as CBS Interactive Burbank Studio needs.
- Assist the Studio Manager with technical operations in studio and control room; Install, maintain, and troubleshoot video, audio, and network issues.
- Assist in preparing studio and all associated production elements for various productions. Prep/set-up audio-video equipment as required for optimizing in studio shoots.
- Crew on in-studio shoots in various positions to include – Camera Operator, Gaffer, Electrician, Technical Director, Utility, Sound or Teleprompter.
- Assist with loading in/out of productions to ensure a timely turn-around of the space to maximize the studio schedule.
- Alert production management when maintenance of equipment is necessary.
- Perform audio and video data backups and file transfers as necessary.
- Basic sound mixing, with technical routing to sound processing and recording devices.
- SDI video routing to switchers, recording decks, and monitors.
- Monitor sound and video feeds to ensure optimal quality.
- Operate Ross Carbonite switcher and Xpression graphics/video playout for live or live to tape shoots when necessary.
- Use video encoder to live stream studio shows via RTMP and social media when necessary.
- Integrate and operate interactive video technology within productions, such as Skype and other conferencing software, as well as navigating social media accounts for live streaming purposes.
- Ensure the safe storage and integrity of data and provide it to the production coordinator when necessary.
- Assist with work on studio lighting; hanging, adjusting, and controlling via ETC light board.
- Assist the Technical Producer/DP with all production needs especially when preparing for an on location set visit.
- Organize and arrange for equipment/set dressing/prop pick up prior to shoots.
- Prep/Load/Wrap equipment in production van to include lighting, grip and camera gear.
- Transport all equipment to on location shoots.
- Crew on location shoots in various positions to include – Camera Operator, Gaffer, Electrician, Technical Director, Utility, Sound or Teleprompter.
- Responsible for organizing audio and video media files captured on location shoots and making sure they get to the production coordinator for distribution.
- Organize and help maintain the production storage unit.
- Capture video content for a wide range of top rated CBS Primetime shows, including NCIS, Survivor, Big Brother, S.W.A.T., and SEAL Team, as well as new Summer, Fall and Mid-season program initiatives.
- Capture compelling video content for All Access Original programming including Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Twilight Zone, The Good Fight, Why Women Kill and Tell Me A Story.
- Explore new technologies such as VR/360.
- Capture content at various events, including San Diego Comic-Con, New York Comic-Con, Paley fest, WonderCon, and more.
- Capture content for After Shows such as Star Trek: Picard The Ready Room
What you bring to the team:
You have –
- 5+ years of experience working with cameras, audio, grip, control room live production equipment, lighting and electrical equipment.
- Technically proficient, confident and comfortable crewing on fast paced studio and on location productions.
- Ability to understand complex control room setups and troubleshoot audio, video, and data feeds.
- Knowledge of frame rates, aspect ratios, and video resolutions
- Basic understanding of sound operations, including proper levels. Experience using mixers, lav mics, and shotgun mics.
- Must be technically focused with the ability to proactively identify and resolve technical challenges.
You might also have –
- Able to work with multiple creative teams, personalities and voices.
- Ability to remain calm during stressful situations.
- Must possess meticulousness, organizational, problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with attention to detail.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled