Variety: Creative Director, Video – Penske Media – Los Angeles, CA
Company: Penske Media
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Variety: Creative Director, Video
Variety has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and resourceful individual to drive the creative vision, strategy and execution of all video programming. The Creative Director, Video oversees the creative production of all editorial and branded video, from ideation to execution, managing a team of senior producers, editors, writers and marketers out of our West LA office.
The right candidate will influence and define a clear and strong presentation of the Variety brand across all digital channels. They will also know how to engage viewers on any platform, including social media. We’re looking for a team player, someone who is results-oriented, excited about digital storytelling and has an understanding and passion for entertainment. This job requires an extensive creative production background and a deep understanding of the entertainment industry. The right candidate will be passionate about visual and audio storytelling, documentaries, series development for linear, social and OTT platforms, sponsored editorial, branded campaigns, innovative video formats, and custom podcasting. An entrepreneurial mindset with experience building, structuring and scaling new video production teams is essential as this role is critical in defining the future growth of Variety video.
- Creative oversight of all video projects at Variety
- Take the lead in developing ideas, concepts and creative solutions to advance our editorial, branded content, marketing and revenue goals
- Organize creative kick-off conversations for new projects and initiatives
- Pitch ideas when needed internally and externally
- Establish the video production workflow, including structuring the team and assessing talent and resource needs
- Create and implement processes and organizational structure related to content development and video production
- Oversee the development of detailed creative treatments and story boards outlining creative vision and production schedule of each video execution
- Persuasively present creative vision to the Variety internal teams including editorial, sales, client and agency teams
- Regularly monitor progress and give creative feedback to content creators
- Create, oversee and vet detailed production budgets
- Oversee all facets of production, from pre-production to post
- Accountability for the final creative product on all video and audio productions
- Research and become an expert in emerging video formats, including 360-degree immersive, interactive video, AR and VR.
- Scout locations, identify story subjects for casting, and write interview questions or scripts when appropriate
- Guide your team to closely analyze agency and client briefs, developing a unique, culturally relevant integrated strategy for sponsored and branded editorial video, audio products, events and more
- Help the team translate these ideas into PPT slides that effectively communicate the ideas, and show how they support the brief and will succeed with the Variety audience
- Partner with sales team to ensure the creative ideas answer the agency’s brief and puts Variety in the strongest position to close the business
- 7-10 years of experience as the lead creative for a publisher, broadcaster or creative agency
- Experience directing shoots and being responsible for final creative product
- Interest in and understanding of using data to inform creative work
- Editorial and Branded video production experience and working with Variety editorial teams, clients and agencies
- Pop culture enthusiast w/ vast knowledge of current TV and films and socially shareable content
- Ability to oversee all facets of production: formulating budgets; hiring production companies, directors, DPs, editors, talent, etc.; identifying story subjects/locations; and conducting interview
- Demonstrated ability to oversee PMC Studio in LA in addition to large and small crew shoots
- Deadline and detail-oriented; incredibly proactive
- Fluency in core video social platforms and best practices for video integration
- Ability to work efficiently and seamlessly across multiple projects, platforms and stakeholders
- Show strong leadership in establishing a collaborative, productive and empathetic culture and work environment
- Extensive network of production companies, video directors and editors
- Be available for travel to location shoots and events when appropriate
Now celebrating its 115th year anniversary, Variety is the seminal voice of the entertainment industry. Featuring award-winning breaking news reporting, insightful award-season coverage, must-read feature spotlights and intelligent analysis of the industry’s most prominent players, Variety is the trusted source for the business of global entertainment. Read by a highly engaged audience of industry insiders, Variety’s multi-platform content coverage expands across digital, mobile, social, print and branded content, events and summits.
Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a leading digital media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.