Shadow & Act Summer Intern – Blavity – Los Angeles, CA
Location: Los Angeles, CA
About Blavity, Inc.
Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, which was founded in 2014 with the simple idea of enabling Millennials of Color to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of black millennials through original content, video and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for black media, reaching 30 million millennial per month through its growing brand portfolio; Blavity, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow and Act. We are 5 brands with one vision and limitless opportunity!
Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity Team creates and executes with our values at the forefront of mind:
- Love of Community
- Transparency and Communication
- Collective Responsibility
- Fail Fast
Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction. We are headquartered in Downtown LA, and have a satellite work space in Atlanta. Join us!
What you will do
Blavity, Inc.’s growing Editorial team is seeking a Shadow & Act Intern! In this internship, you can expect to gain:
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Hands-on experience in digital media, with the option to write editorial and social pieces
- Team collaboration within the premier digital destination for Black entertainment news, covering film, TV, webseries and Broadway
- Opportunities to connect with people who can give you a better understanding of the industry and help you accomplish real goals you can add to your resume
80% of your professional development we’ll be focused on department and team-focused projects related to entertainment news, pop culture, and trending topics. You’ll spend the other 20% of your professional development in networking opportunities and final presentations of your learnings.
This is an unpaid summer internship in our Los Angeles office. There is a minimum time commitment of 15 hrs per week, ideally committing 15-20 hrs per week during June – August. Please note, this internship is available for college credit.
- Research ideas for listicles, articles and content for our entertainment video series
- Attend weekly editorial meetings and contribute ideas
- Attend industry events with the managing editor, as schedules allow, to network and obtain real-world learning experiences.
Years of Experience: Previous internship experience in an applicable or related field preferred
Other experience: Preference for 1-2 years experience doing research and writing
Education: Currently enrolled in a four-year college, preferably a rising Junior or Senior
Technologies: Preferred experienced with WordPress
- Excellent written communication skills, including good spelling and grammar
- Excellent research skills
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- A love of and feel for language
Location: LA Office
Work Schedule: Availability to join the Blavity team between June – August for a minimum of 15 hours a week, preferably 10am-3pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays (We are flexible – you will have the opportunity to work with the Manager to develop a weekly schedule).
Preferred Interests: Love for Black TV, film and community
Blavity Inc. is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect, free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.