Set Extension/ Matte Painting Assistant – Walt Disney Animation Studios – Burbank, CA
Company: Walt Disney Animation Studios
Location: Burbank, CA
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Walt Disney Animation Studios combines the very best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new stories to the big screen for audiences around the world. Constantly challenged to create innovative new technologies for animated features, theme park productions, and special projects for the Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Animation Studios is home to some of the most talented artists working in the film industry today.
Disney’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Artists use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills, to seamlessly extend digital environments in a 3D world.
We currently have exciting opportunities for Set Extension Assistants to come and learn at our Burbank, CA studios.
To apply for this position, you must include a resume and a link to your reel with a reel breakdown, featuring samples of digital Set Extensions and samples of traditional painting as well as the ability to match different artistic styles.
An assistant is trained to be proficient in the following skill sets. The duties below are performed under constant mentorship.
- Ability to work with the Production Designers and environment team to stylistically extend a fully-built, digital environment beyond a decided point using a shot-specific, generalist workflow
- Understands a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras
- Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital programs such as Maya, Photoshop and Nuke, as well as Disney’s proprietary software (GI renderer, etc.)
- Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting, and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer’s overall vision
- Support the technical aspects of the work created
- Use expertise to help influence the future direction of Set Extension tools and techniques within the Look Development department
- Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
- Bachelors degree or comparable experience
- Professional experience required, feature animation experience preferred
- High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color theory
- Good artistic skills with willingness to learn new workflows
- Strong skills in programs such as Photoshop, Maya, Nuke, etc
- Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux
- Must be able to work iteratively in a fluid and fast-paced environment, take direction easily, and be willing to participate as a member of a highly collaborative team
- Experience in Modeling, Look Development, and Lighting within 3D environments, and/or generalist background a plus
Company Overview :