Penske Media Corporation: IndieWire: TV Editor
Company: Employer Penske Media Corporation
Location: Location Los Angeles, California
Employer Penske Media Corporation
IndieWire: TV Editor
This role calls for an avid consumer of TV who understands what readers want. Your focus is on consumer-facing content rather than industry reporting, with an emphasis on shareable content that takes advantage of the daily news cycle and is targeted toward a diverse, inclusive audience. You know how to uncover new audiences for IndieWire like no one else, and give an authentic voice to their TV interests. You can balance longer-term reporting on exclusive stories with writing quick turnaround known traffic generators. The hours for this Los Angeles based Editor would be 12-9 p.m. PST.
While all of TV is fair game, the role owns the diversity and inclusion TV beat, including reviews, profiles, listicles, and evergreen features. All story assignments will be approved, and edited, by a top editor. You will also contribute to tentpole projects produced by the entire TV team, including programming previews and “best of” lists. Developing strong relationships with TV insiders, as well as PR, is essential.
- Write 1-2 stories reacting to daily TV news
- Review new shows and look for story angles that celebrate unheralded creative voices
- Pitch article ideas with a multimedia component
- Interview talent and creators for in-depth features
- Maintain a database of listicle ideas, write them, and manage their rollout
- 5+ years of experience writing for a major news organization
- Experience as an online reporter
- In-depth TV knowledge on a wide variety of shows and programming
- Proven ability to select and prioritize stories
- Strong understanding of analytic tools and data
- Proven experience in reacting to this data to drive traffic
- Ability to evaluate news leads to quickly develop story ideas and newsgathering
- Skilled in managing resources and working independently
- High level of editorial judgment aligned with IndieWire editorial policy
- Experience writing and editing stories for social media audiences
- Fluent in SEO and frequent presence on social media
- Spanish language skills are a plus
Exercises autonomy, but seeks guidance where necessary. No formal management responsibility.
Role covers a wide range of journalism skills, with significant experience and responsibility for content creation.
Since launching on July 15, 1996, IndieWire has grown into the leading news, information and networking site for independent-minded filmmakers, the industry and moviegoers alike. Originally conceived as an online forum and newsletter for filmmakers and festivals, IndieWire has grown over the last two decades into a preeminent source for film and television news, reviews, interviews, global festival coverage and more. Our mission has always been to create a platform to deliver news, information and other resources to creators and movie lovers, while facilitating a greater appreciation of independent filmmaking to the masses. IndieWire’s parent company, Penske Media Corporation (PMC), is a leading digital media company, publishing, and information Services Company founded in 2003.
Penske Media Corporation (PMC) is a leading digital media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a monthly audience of more than 180 million and empowers more than 1 million global CEOs and business thought-leaders in markets that impact the world. Our dynamic events, data services, and rich content entertain and educate today’s fashion, retail, beauty, entertainment and lifestyle sectors. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 11 countries worldwide, Penske Media is the way global influencers are informed, connected, and inspired. To learn more about PMC and its iconic brands, visit www.pmc.com.