Manager of Technology- KNBC/KVEA – NBCUniversal – Universal City, CA
Location: Universal City, CA
Manager of Technology
Owned Stations & Affiliate Relations
- Lead a team of engineers and technicians performing design, installation, maintenance and repair of all technical equipment in a 24/7 live broadcast TV environment
- Lead a News Operations Center team of News Acquisition operators managing and coordinating the acquisition of all live news content via microwave, Satellite, CBNG including OQ check-in procedures in a 24/7 live broadcast TV environment.
- Supervise and provide guidance for IT and Broadcast Systems Engineers and NOC operators in support of News
- Function as Chief Operator for FCC EAS logs and maintain FCC Licenses for KNBC & KVEA and microwave installations.
- Assist in design, development, and execution of station projects with or without supervision.
- Manage all UHF transmitters, microwave equipment, Microwave Control systems, radio communications systems, studio equipment, and other equipment associated with our facilities.
- Develop, implement and support Engineering, NOC and IT SOP/workflows
- Ensure that all projects are completed in a timely manner and on budget.
- Ensure compliance with established Change Control procedures
- Partner with EHS lead to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures and perform regular safety inspections to reduce equipment failure or accidents.
- Partner with 3rd party vendors and internal service providers to best service the needs of the station and troubleshoot issues
- Facilitate continuing education on emerging technologies with technical and operations staff.
- Review, approve and purchase maintenance equipment and parts supporting infrastructure reliability
- Review and assign all discrepancy tickets daily and lead daily discrepancy and maintenance review meeting
- Work with News to develop new tools for newcasts
- Manage site leases for Microwave, Beauty Cameras and Radar systems.
- Oversee our mission critical systems, including testing back-up systems, training employees on handling such situations in order to ensure no loss of air time
- Display expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems and be able to step in and resolve any and all issues in emergency situations
- Assist in the development and implementation of Capital and Operating projects and budgets in coordination with the VP Technology and Owned Stations Division
- Provide diligent and accurate oversight of all capital and operational expenditure
- Stay current with emerging technologies and industry changes
- Supervise and maintain support systems such as the Transmitter emergency power generation and switching systems, UPS and power distribution devices
- Document and maintain strict FCC, EAS, and OSHA regulation compliance
- Must be available to work during major on air events, breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates, and provide on-call services 24-7
- Display and maintain professional appearance, based on station standards, and professional demeanor
- Regularly receive and distribute information and instructions via telephone, email, memos and staff meetings, to station personnel or outside vendors/clients
- Oversee and manage local daily technical operations
- Develop, communicate, and implement strategic and tactical plans
- Diligently manage projects driven locally and corporately
- Facilitate user and system break-fix and troubleshooting as needed
- Manage purchasing, logistics, and asset tracking for the department
- Around the clock phone/email access and remote troubleshooting required
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree required (additional 5 years work experience in lieu of degree acceptable)
- Must be familiar with RF Broadcast Transmission systems , Microwave and Radar systems
- Must be familiar with information systems infrastructure relating to broadcast technical systems
- Must have working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems; Familiar with network routing and IP addressing
- Strong broadcast and RF engineering skills
- Strong network engineering skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong background and experience with Microsoft Operating Systems and tools
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office with emphasis in Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Project applications
- Must be able to act with urgency, immediacy, and efficiency and make situation appropriate decisions
- Ability to meet deadlines and be resourceful to solve technical issues
- Excellent troubleshooting skills a must
- Experience of managing a 24/7 News environment
- Able to work with other departments’ needs and schedules to accomplish goals
- Must be solution-oriented, proactive, and willing to dig to find a sound resolution
- Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Experience managing equipment used for production and broadcasting including but not limited to: Video switchers, audio mixers, graphics systems, automation systems, editing systems, video servers, media asset management solutions, archive system, transcoding systems, virtual machines and software applications for a major broadcast network or in a top 5 TV DMA
- Experience leading a large diverse team of engineers, technicians and operators in a live TV environment
- Experience successfully delivering large scale and time critical technical projects and initiatives
- PMI, PMP Certification a plus
- Cisco Certification or equivalent a plus
NBCUOTS – KNBC
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.