Lead Studio Operator – ESPN – Los Angeles, CA
Location: Los Angeles, CA
ESPN Production Operations is a unit within the Production division of ESPN Content. Our staff comprises Network Control, Edit, Studio, Production Control Rooms, Media Operations, Operations Specialists, Facility Resources and Business Operations. Production Operations staffs the operational positions (camera, editing, master control, technical directing, etc.) that support domestic and international studio and event programming and network operations.
The Studio Operator must be proficient in the use of all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to; camera jib systems, camera stabilization systems, high definition studio cameras, pedestals and lenses, camera control units, color correction, studio routing, server based playback devices, studio lighting, PC and console based lighting boards, robotic camera operation, remote video conferencing systems, virtual technology, and general studio awareness.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods, workflow, equipment, facility layouts and troubleshooting practices as they relate to operational assignments.
- Operate a wide range of assignments and equipment within the studio environment and as indicated by the job title.
- Conduct advanced levels of quality control and take corrective actions to ensure and/or enhance products.
- Participation in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for personal career development, new equipment and/or workflow changes within the operation. Also expected to participate in the training of others and generate training documentation.
- Understand complex information and disseminate it to proper personnel. Effectively communicate problem solving efforts, results and resolutions.
- Keep abreast of technology and workflows to create accurate and efficient results in specific assignments or future plans.
- Comprehend and comply with company and departmental SOPs. May support the updating of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provide quality service to all customers, as defined and assigned by management.
- Interact productively with counterparts in Operations and closely related support departments. Together, complete the expected assignments based on timelines and pre-determined guidelines.
- Document and/or file reports, as necessary, on specific working conditions, equipment status and personal development at the request of management.
- Advanced understanding of workflow in other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to other staff members and/or peers.
- Work independently, manage simultaneous projects, and follow through on assignments.
- Identify problems, recommend solutions and/or resolve operational errors and equipment failures.
- Supports ESPN Domestic networks, including Deportes, as well as all ESPN International networks.
Basic Qualifications :
- A minimum of four years of practical TV Production or related experience.
- Strong operating skills and ability to perform under strict timelines and/or live conditions with little supervision.
- Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…) and solid communication skills.
- Demonstrates sound communication with timely follow up and problem solving
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Flexibility to alter shifts/days off to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
- Organizational, communication and planning skills are required.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Bilingual (written and spoken) in both English and Spanish
Required Education :
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
Preferred Education :
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Studio Production, Journalism, or related field
- Vocational School or related experience