NATIONAL FILM AND TELEVISION SCHOOL: Health and Safety Manager (Film and TV Production)
Company: NATIONAL FILM AND TELEVISION SCHOOL
Location: Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire
NATIONAL FILM AND TELEVISION SCHOOL
Health and Safety Manager (Film and TV Production)
Full time / part time / job share
Do you want the chance to work for one of the best film schools in the world, across a range of genres, including fiction, animation, documentaries, TV, science and natural history productions?
The NFTS makes more than a hundred and fifty film, television and games productions each year. The School is a full-service studio with the resources in house to produce and complete work to the very highest standards. Many of these projects play leading festivals around the world and win internationally significant prizes, including BAFTAs and Academy Awards (Oscars).
The Health & Safety Manager will oversee Health and Safety across numerous world class productions at the National Film and Television School. You will be a key member of the busy Production Team, working with the Head of Production, Director of the NFTS, HODs and students to embed a strong culture of production safety throughout the School. You will be the main professional advisor for all safety issues across our production activities, and the school’s main point of contact with our external Health and Safety consultants.
For further information about this role and information on how to apply please visit our website.
The closing date for applications will be 2 February 2020.
At the NFTS, people are at the heart of what we do. We’re an inclusive employer and are committed to equality of opportunity, and building a culturally diverse workforce. We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds.
This is a full time role but we are happy to consider part time applications.
Health and Safety Manager (Film and TV Production)
REPORTING TO: Head of Production Support
Purpose of Role:
To oversee Health and Safety across numerous world class productions working with the Head of Production, Director of the NFTS, HODs and students to embed a strong culture of production safety throughout the School. You will be the main professional advisor for all safety issues across our production activities, and the school’s main point of contact with our external Health and Safety consultants.
Production Safety and Management
- To oversee the Health and Safety across all NFTS production activities.
- To work closely with Head of Production, Heads of Departments (tutors) and students to ensure their productions have health and safety embedded into the heart of what they do, including both current and new production activities
- To be across other production management activities within the Production Team where relevant and appropriate, including overseeing budgets and schedules of productions
- To ensure that suitable and sufficient standards of Risk Assessment are developed and maintained by staff and students
- To review and report on production safety across all school activities, auditing and making recommendations where appropriate and implementing and advising on changes to practice as necessary
- To Investigate accidents, maintain appropriate records, and make recommendations to promote health and safety in the workplace to the Head of Production, Director, and Management Team
Policies and Procedures
- To be responsible for ensuring that policies and procedures are kept up to date, and compliant with the relevant legislation. To make these documents available for all NFTS Staff and students, in a central location
- To prepare an annual Health and Safety report for the Board of Governors and such interim reports as requested
- To lead the bi-monthly NFTS Staff / Student H & S Committee
- Ensure the ongoing development, evolution and implementation of the risk assessment process, including the online risk assessment system.
- Identify and make recommendations on staff and student training needs in respect of production safety training and ensure that appropriate training records are maintained
- To develop and maintain the written H & S policy for the NFTS as legally required
- To advise the Head of Production on the implications of current and emerging H & S and welfare legislation, evaluating options, making recommendations and generating action plans to ensure compliance across the organisation
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise own workload; manage several projects simultaneously; and to ensure that tight and often overlapping deadlines are met
- Ability to consistently produce a high standard of work whilst under pressure
- An understanding of the importance of meeting student and staff needs and providing high quality support
- A willingness to be flexible towards duties and adaptable to change
- A demonstrable ability to take a solution-focused approach to problems
- A willingness to develop and maintain systems and accurate record keeping
- Production experience
- NEBOSH qualification