Reporting to a Duty Operations Manager, this position is critical in to monitoring and supporting Discovery’s Global television distribution infrastructure and supporting our Live Events output. Resources supporting this role are our Tier 1 and 2 behind-the-scenes operations support team expected to have a versatile skill set both technically and personally with the ability to stay focused and continually develop as an experienced and skilled technician. Analysts in this role will to have experience in leading difficult situations, staying calm, reacting quickly under pressure and being able to execute on the key responsibilities noted below.Highlights of the roleThe position is a shift based role working as part of a unified “virtual” teams that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a dynamic technology focused team capable of providing monitoring all Discovery linear and non-linear output as well as supporting IT infrastructure. The support operation also leads Discovery’s response to all incidents within our infrastructure.Role responsibilities for the Digital Infrastructure, part of team of 12 in either our London or Sterling, VA centers is Discovery’s primary line of defense in supporting Discovery’s global distribution broadcasting in 220 countries and territories.Post holders will be expected to work shifts including weekends whilst regular night work is not required it should be expected that the post holder will need to work nights during certain events.The team execute our IT Event, Incident and Request Management processes at Discovery ensure a culture of excellence and consistent service and supporting Discovery’s best in class platform distribution.The centers are also the point of contact and owners for an Distribution & IT Major Incident Incidents and as an Analyst are responsible for initiating Major Incident process and procedures in our operations.
- Monitoring all of Discovery’s channels without our global distribution networks
- Handles the necessary switching of transmission systems during normal or emergency conditions to ensure that all services remain on the air.
- Provide input and issue written reports to various factions of the Global Technology & Operations groups about transmission system reliability.
- Routinely check all physical plant remote alarms in the teleport shelter and remote co-located equipment areas including but not limited to HPA systems, uplink chains, local receive equipment, and facility-wide support systems.
- Monitor the health of every on-air and backup system confirming all Discovery Networks are operational and operating within proper performance specifications
- Manage and control local and national fiber connectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world.
- Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations. Interface and manage external satellite teleport vendors when required.
- Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full-time services.
- Develop corporate oversight/participation in Transmission Technologies
- Strengthen management of key transmission related initiatives within Discovery
- Assist with training, coaching and development of Distribution Staff Members as needed.
- Coordinate escalation process to third party suppliers and ensure SLAs are met and adhered to and risk mitigated.
- Create and update documentation and procedures
- Other duties as required.
- Outage vetting – initiating of critical outage situations
- Severity 1, 2, and 3 outage notifications/updates/resolutions
- Monitor Discovery’s production network in real-time
- Implement, or assist with implementation of, changes to distribution infrastructure
- Perform escalation resolution of systems accounts for Active Directory, 0365, and numerous
- Work closely with other Technology Operations and Distribution staff to ensure success of daily operations
- Provide support for server patching/change management activities Provide a seamless and professional experience in supporting remote and regional customers
- Monitor Discovery’s production network in real time
- Coordinate escalation process to third-party vendors
- Identify, adjust, and help establish new monitors and metrics needs
- Uphold professional ticket management from the get-go for the benefit of the rest of the global support teams by ensuring all ticket types are logged, work logs comprehensively updated and then carefully manage routing to ensure resolution
- Maintain on-going communication with customers, keeping them up-to-date with the progress of their tickets
- Serve as a liaison between other support teams and the customer as required by working collaboratively across all leadership levels
- Provide support to the Duty Operations Manager in the management of outages as needed, providing communications to small and large-scale user groups.
- Be proactive and ensure constant follow up with involved IT teams to ensure resolution
- Ability to embrace and support new technologies introduced first hand to Distribution and IT
- Experience with ITIL principals
- Create and update documentation and procedures
- Keep Knowledge Base(s) up-to-date
- Experience in RF and transmission systems preferred
- Experience with Domestic and International Television Satellite compression and distribution systems preferred.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Mathematics or engineering discipline desirable or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of C-band RF experience along with a familiarity with Arris and Cisco encoding systems
- Working knowledge of digital baseband signals, SDI, HD-SDI and ASI for video and PCM, Dolby D and E and its variants for audio signals.
- Knowledge of and experience with SMPTE 2110 and AES 67
- Working experience with Television Distribution Systems – fibre and satellite based, as well as Satellite Monitoring and control Systems
- Is able to operate associated test equipment including but not limited to spectrum analyzer, power meter, signal generator, oscilloscope, video waveform monitor, vector scope and transport stream analyzer
- Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video, Audio, RF and Transport Stream Analysis equipment is required.
- Candidate should have working knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technology, encryption/ authorization technology and TVRO receive systems, with specific experience with Arris DCII, Arris Modular, and Cisco Power VU systems.
- Candidates should have a basic knowledge of architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems and their interaction with the distribution equipment.
- Able to work without supervision, combining initiative with discretion
- Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required.
- Overnight, weekend, holidays, and rotating shifts are required as this is a 365/24/7 mission critical position to support the distribution reliability of Discovery Communications services.
- his position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager
- Able to communicate technical matters to technical and non-technical audiences
- Flexibility to work evening, weekend, and overnight shift
- Understand and be able to work with monitoring systems and related technologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a friendly disposition
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be able to independently research, troubleshoot, and resolve trouble tickets within established Service Level Agreements
- Ability to provide Total Call Ownership to include handling irate customers, escalating issues as appropriate and providing the necessary follow up before incidents are closed
- Ability to define & document IT support procedures as required
- Ability to maintain focus in a high pressure environment
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.
Discovery job in London
You may also be interested in...
- Head of Research & Development Operations – London – Technicolor – London ⧁ A summary of what you will do: This is a critical requirement for MPC’s R&D ...
- Office Administrator, Digital Production Team – Time Warner – London ⧁ London 18-Apr-2019 Office Administrator, Digital Production Team Turner United Kingdom – London Digital/Interactive Media Requisition # 169332BR Business Unit_TBS 3520 Industry Advertising, Cable/Broadcast Television Networks, ...
- Production Assistant (Temporary) – Time Warner – Atlanta, GA ⧁ Temporary 15-Apr-2019 Production Assistant (Temporary) Turner United States – Georgia – Atlanta Digital/Interactive Media Requisition # 169255BR Business Unit_TBS CNEWS Industry Advertising, Cable/Broadcast Television Networks, ...
- VFX Production Assistant – Technicolor – London ⧁ Our Production team are responsible for managing the artists, schedules and client expectations of ...
- ATD – double negative visual effects – Vancouver, BC ⧁ Description As an Assistant Technical Director (ATD) you will perform a variety of tasks to ...