Digital Weekend Editor/Weekday World Editor
NBC News Digital seeks a talented editor to join its London team to run nbcnews.com on the weekend and carry World coverage into the evening three days a week. This position will primarily be a mix of news editing, homepage editing and news reporting/writing.
The successful candidate will be an ambitious, well-rounded journalist with at least five years editing experience. They will be an unflappable all-rounder who can comfortably and efficiently juggle multiple editorial tasks in a fast-paced environment, collaborating with editors in New York and LA, as well as NBC News’ broadcast operations in the U.S. and internationally.
While the position has an emphasis on handling World stories, it also requires a deep knowledge of the United States – particularly in the runup to the 2020 presidential election.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- On weekends, the editor will be responsible for commissioning, editing and writing spot/breaking news as well as originally reported pieces and bounces.
- The weekend role will require publishing the NBC News homepage and app, as well as sending app and email alerts on breaking news and World features.
- On three week days, the editor will write, edit and publish World stories commissioned earlier in the day or that break later in the evening London time. They will also report and edit longer-term World enterprise pieces.
- Play a major role in NBCNews.com’s international coverage by working with a strong team of reporters and assigning them to the day’s top stories, provide rigorous edits and work with them to find new ways to turn raw reporting into compelling digital content.
- Work with World reporters, producers and correspondents in London and NBC News’ numerous foreign bureaus to support their reporting and help make their stories better.
- Help supervise coverage of major U.S. domestic news in the hours before the New York editors arrive at work and work closely with other editors on daily and special projects.
- Ensure the tone of and mix of stories is in line with NBC News Digital editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News Digital.
- Share information and collaborate with all NBC News platforms in a timely fashion.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience working in a newsroom environment, including experience with breaking news
- Extensive experience working in a strictly digital shop
- Top-notch news judgment and a proven track record of moving seamlessly between all types of news
- Strong understanding of US news
- Proven highly skilled editor with outstanding communication skills
- Must have experience with assigning, writing and editing stories, as well as managing staff
- Strong attention to detail and sound editorial judgment under pressure
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment
- Full English language capabilities
NBC News International
NBC News is a leading source of global news and information operating for over 75 years. Every week, NBC News provides more than 25 hours of television news programming with the top-rated NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt and Meet the Press programs as well as America’s longest-running morning news program, TODAY. The network’s primetime newsmagazine, Dateline provides a variety of in-depth stories week in and week out ranging from mysteries and breaking news to hidden-camera investigations and documentaries. The continuously growing online presence of NBC News, NBC News Digital Group, includes NBCNews.com, TODAY.com, MSNBC.com, iVillage, BreakingNews.com, theGrio.com, NBCLatino.com, NBCPolitics.com, EducationNation.com, NightlyNews.com, Newsvine.com, social media, apps and all of the network’s digital initiatives.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.