Content Producer (Video Production Specialist) – FutureLearn Ltd – London
Company: FutureLearn Ltd
Here at FutureLearn, our purpose is to transform access to education. We do that by partnering with over a quarter of the world’s top universities to support over 10 million learners across the globe to develop skills and achieve their personal and professional goals. We’re a leading social learning platform founded in December 2012 by The Open University and are now jointly owned by The Open University and The SEEK Group. We use design, technology and partnerships to create enjoyable, credible and flexible short online courses and microcredentials, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. In addition to top universities, we also partner with leading organisations such as Accenture, the British Council, CIPD, Raspberry Pi and Health Education England (HEE), as well as being involved in government-backed initiatives to address skills gaps such as The Institute of Coding and the National Centre for Computing Education.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced Producer to join FutureLearn’s in-house Studio team. The FutureLearn Studio team provides paid-for creative services to FutureLearn partners and clients. This ranges from consultancy and the creation of individual content elements for short courses, to end-to-end design and production of microcredentials and degree modules.
Producers in the Studio team are responsible for driving the development of innovative and inspiring online courses. You’ll collaborate with our Learning Designers and work in partnership with academics and subject matter experts to obtain raw material. You will own the editorial vision for their content and create engaging story-driven, student-centred social learning experiences. You’ll help devise production processes and workflows that allow the team to produce multiple courses in parallel.
The ideal candidate will have extensive hands-on production experience in online education, finely honed digital storytelling acumen and the ability to craft a compelling story through text, graphics, audio and video. You will have a proven ability to come up with concepts for media, write scripts, and conceive narratives to weave academic content together with creative treatments.
For this role, we’re seeking to strengthen the FutureLearn Studio team’s in-house capability and capacity for video creation by recruiting a candidate with considerable specialist experience of working as a self-shooting Director, Videographer or Producer. Ideally you will have strong technical skills as a camera operator and will be comfortable working solo to manage two-camera setups, lighting and sound for simple interviews, promos, and talking head pieces to camera. You’ll also have experience of editing and colour correction in Premiere Pro.
As well as being hands-on yourself, the Producer will offer mentoring and assistance to the rest of the Studio team with regards to shooting and editing video. You will line-manage one Assistant producer at first and oversee the work of any freelancers and suppliers on your projects.
If your skillset is more suited to post-production, we are also recruiting a Content Producer (post-production editing and motion graphics specialist).
We’re looking for someone who is knowledgeable about online learning, and passionate about achieving high standards for content quality, usability and accessibility. Ideally, you will have some knowledge of current pedagogical practices and debates about social learning and will be eager to apply these in the hands-on development of online distance learning qualifications.
We’re looking for a driven individual – someone who loves breaking down complex problems and who is committed to meeting project deadlines and establishing efficient ways of working with quick turnarounds on media production.
This is a full time permanent role based in FutureLearn’s Camden office in London, UK. In most weeks, the role will typically involve travel within the UK (primarily London) to attend client meetings and shoots taking place on location.
- Responsible for the production of content for online courses – from short Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) to credit-bearing degree qualifications comprising multiple short courses.
- Carries out scoping to define the deliverables for each course component, working in partnership with a Learning Designer and Lead Producer.
- Collaborates directly with the client’s academic or subject matter expert to define and deliver on the editorial vision for each course, from pre-production through to quality assurance.
- Cast and direct on-screen talent including presenters.
- Conduct journalistic-style interviews of contributors.
- Scout locations for shoots. Direct set-ups and backdrops in studios and on-location.
- Oversees the production and upload of content required for courses – including text, images, audio, video and other interactive content.
- Liaises closely with the Project Manager to ensure the development of content is completed on schedule and to the agreed scope, budget and quality criteria.
- Ensures all content is uploaded to FutureLearn’s Content Management System in the correct format and specification, archived and logged appropriately, rights cleared for use on FutureLearn, accessible to all users (including overseeing the process of transcription and subtitling for any audio/video content).
- Demonstrates leadership and collaborative spirit to develop the knowledge and skills of junior team members.
- Reports to the Lead Producer regularly on status of assigned projects.
- Works alongside Production Co-ordinator on resourcing and managing third party suppliers (e.g. video production companies or freelancers).
- 5+ years of professional experience in digital media production.
- Expert proficiency with a variety of cameras, preferably Sony FS7 and Sony FS5.
- Demonstrable expertise in creating a variety of different lighting and sound set-ups for recording.
- Understanding of digital audio/video production workflows and first-hand experience of overseeing small teams to storyboard, script, film and edit educational videos.
- Proven influencing skills and the ability to form productive working relationships with academics, contributors, subject matter experts, clients and stakeholders at all levels.
- Considerable experience of crafting public-facing content for the web and the ability to envisage how content should be most effectively presented and sequenced for the optimal user experience.
- Exceptional written communication skills, with experience of writing and editing articles and video scripts.
- Good organisational skills and demonstrable experience of delivering multiple projects in parallel.
- Ability to analyse complex problems, come up with creative solutions, and make prioritisation decisions.
- Infallible critical eye for detail.
- Familiarity with theories of instructional design and social learning.
- A high level of proficiency with Adobe Premiere Pro, Audition, Photoshop and other Creative Cloud applications.
- Experience of collaborating with a team using cloud-based applications such Google Drive, Trello, and Slack, Harvest and Smartsheet.
- Some experience of recording high quality sound and editing audio for podcasts and audio clips.
- Some experience of line management.
- Experience of working in higher education and/or educational technology.
- Experience of developing courses for FutureLearn or any other prominent MOOC platform.
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems (CMS) and e-learning authoring tools such as Camtasia, Adobe Captivate and/or Articulate Storyline.
- Competitive Salary
- 28 days holiday (plus 8 days public holiday)
- Buy & sell up to 5 days holiday
- Charity day (volunteer for a charity of your choice)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket loan
- Flexible working environment/hours
- Pension (4% employer / employee contribution)
- OU Staff Fee Course Waiver Programme
- Great coffee, teas, fruit and daily breakfast
Please submit a CV, a link to a portfolio (or a PDF), and a cover letter. On your cover letter please clearly explain how you meet the essential skills and experience criteria mentioned in the requirements specification section of the job description . Please also include your salary expectations. This will help us determine your fit for the role and increase your application’s chances of success.
Please email [email protected] if you require any reasonable adjustments or alterations to be made, to support you through the recruitment process.
We value diversity at FutureLearn, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, neurodiversity, marital or disability status.